Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Electrical short

bo dawg

Well a year later and I finally got around to working on my 68 Charger 12 that wouldn't fire. I threw away the magnito coil and converted it to an exteral coil like TT suggested. The only thing I haven't done is change the ign switch so it can shut the engin off, which I'm doing tomorrow :omg:

The good thing is I have spark everywhere I'm suppose to and it fires right up and runs :drool:

But...I still have a short somewhere, I think, :drool: cause it sparks when I hook up my new battery. Same thing it was doing before all these problems started. I know its not from the changes I made today since it did this before. So what should I be looking for? Could it be the old ignition?

I did replaced the rectifier prior to all this with a used one (a smaller kohler model) same amps same plug. The old one was burnt on back which was probably from jumping the battery over to get running. All the wiring looks ok but not sure what to look for. :(

thanks

catman81056

Just a guess but could it be the old ign. switch?

04fxdwgi

Remove fuses for all other accessories, such as lights and gauges, if applicable

I would start by disconnecting the battery, then the charging circuit from everything else. Reconnect the battery and see if the spark happens again. I would surely be looking at the carging circuit for a short or shorted diode pack.

bo dawg

Thanks, I will try that. I was wondering about the ign switch myself. When I find one to change out we'll see if it sparks.

:omg:

bo dawg

:omg: Just thought I would let you know I got her fixed! It ended up being the ign switch. I bought one at Auto Zone for $9.00 and works great. :drool:

Thanks

:drool:

ncfordman

I had a similar problem on my B-111 with 11Hp B&S.

When I installed a fully-charged battery, it gave a pretty stout spark when I put the positive lead on. I thought that was odd, but later found out my battery was fully discharged and I hadn't used it.

I removed the battery and with an ohm meter I saw that the positive lead to the battery showed no resistance to the negative lead, and to the frame. That didn't sound right to me, so I chased the wires to learn that both the AC and the DC charging wires also show no resistance to ground. I'm not sure if this is where my problem is. Should both of these wires measure low / no resistance to ground?

I'm tempted to take the flywheel off and see if there's something wrong with the charging system under there.

TT

That's really odd on a B-111 since they have a magneto ignition that makes it's own power and doesn't have a thing to do with the battery. (same as a pull start only lawn mower engine)

You might want to investigate under the blower housing and see if your engine has a Magnetron (solid state) coil or if it still has points & condenser under the flywheel.

If the "kill" circuit from the ignition switch to the coil is shorting somewhere it could also cause weak, intermittent, or no spark.

If you aren't sure what you're looking for or at, check the local library or bookstore for a manual on Briggs & Stratton engines. A good manual will contain the information on the ignition and charging system diagnostics and troubleshooting that you're seeking.

ncfordman

Excellent, I'll look into it.