Sign in to follow this  
Rideawaysenior

Hot Horse

Rideawaysenior

Well, today I get my mind together thinkin it would be a good day to see what can be done with that 308-8 I just picked up. I give her a good look over, change the engine oil and tranny oil, shoot some carb cleaner into the carb, and blow it out with compressed air. Sounds good to me I think, time to gas her up and turn the key. With a crisp smack of juice and quick whif of ozone, that starter is turnin the bejesus out of that fly wheel. I get a couple of pops. Not bad I think. We're onto somethin. I figure although now the plug didn't look bad, lets pull it out and zip it over the wire brush a run or two. Well, wouldn't you know it, she fires right up, and do I mean fire. I get a blue flame out of the muffler, and then a nice tower of inferno up the front side of that dang 8hp. I don't know wether to crap and go blind or fart and go deaf at this point because wouldn't you know that I being the smart safety conscious professional I am, (Fire Marshal, Environmental Health and Safety Engineer) just push the tractor out of the portable garage just enough so that it wouldn't fill with exhaust fumes. I run (which is a sight to see) to my garage, and I've got four 20lb ABC extinguishers hanging on the wall inside and I can't find a one as I'm so dizzy from the thought of the Belchertown Fire Dept coming over to my house to put out my back yard with all of them knowing full well who I am and what I do for a living. :drool:

Ok, I find an extinguisher. Run my rear off back to the rear of the yard to find that there was no more fire. Apparently what had happened was, I flooded the engine and the carb float was stuck open so it was just blowing gas right out the exhaust. So, after the tractor and I both cool down and pop a pill or two of my heart and blood pressure medication, I set to pulling off the carb, reset the float and push the tractor well away from anything combustible. Give her a few cranks and vroom. What a nice sound. :omg:

Any of you out there who know me know that I am a big guy. For anyone to say a fat man can't run is a complete and outright lie. I think I could have won the 500 yard Olympic dash on this particular day. Oh, and one more thing to be thankful for. The wife was not home.

Jack

WHC-125

Jack, I had something similar happen to me a few years ago when I picked up a C-121. I was cranking it over and it wouldnt pop so I cranked it over and was spraying starting fluid in it and VROOM it started really quick then backfired out the carb and gas was leaking out to begin with and caught fire :drool: I went to go get a fire extinguisher from in my house(my moms cooking could be a little crazy :drool: ) Then when I got back outside nothing was their and it was fine. I went to "try" and start it again and I didnt think it would start but then it kicked right over and purred like a kitten :omg:

CHARGER9AUTO

Well, today I get my mind together thinkin it would be a good day to see what can be done with that 308-8 I just picked up. I give her a good look over, change the engine oil and tranny oil, shoot some carb cleaner into the carb, and blow it out with compressed air. Sounds good to me I think, time to gas her up and turn the key. With a crisp smack of juice and quick whif of ozone, that starter is turnin the bejesus out of that fly wheel. I get a couple of pops. Not bad I think. We're onto somethin. I figure although now the plug didn't look bad, lets pull it out and zip it over the wire brush a run or two. Well, wouldn't you know it, she fires right up, and do I mean fire. I get a blue flame out of the muffler, and then a nice tower of inferno up the front side of that dang 8hp. I don't know wether to crap and go blind or fart and go deaf at this point because wouldn't you know that I being the smart safety conscious professional I am, (Fire Marshal, Environmental Health and Safety Engineer) just push the tractor out of the portable garage just enough so that it wouldn't fill with exhaust fumes. I run (which is a sight to see) to my garage, and I've got four 20lb ABC extinguishers hanging on the wall inside and I can't find a one as I'm so dizzy from the thought of the Belchertown Fire Dept coming over to my house to put out my back yard with all of them knowing full well who I am and what I do for a living. :drool:

Ok, I find an extinguisher. Run my rear off back to the rear of the yard to find that there was no more fire. Apparently what had happened was, I flooded the engine and the carb float was stuck open so it was just blowing gas right out the exhaust. So, after the tractor and I both cool down and pop a pill or two of my heart and blood pressure medication, I set to pulling off the carb, reset the float and push the tractor well away from anything combustible. Give her a few cranks and vroom. What a nice sound. :omg:

Any of you out there who know me know that I am a big guy. For anyone to say a fat man can't run is a complete and outright lie. I think I could have won the 500 yard Olympic dash on this particular day. Oh, and one more thing to be thankful for. The wife was not home.

Jack

Jack, I heard that story about your 308-8 when you drop off my '73 10 AUTOMATIC I started workin on . Ben :drool:

Kelly

Maybe we all could learn something here, have a extinguisher handy when working on the things, can't be to safe.

Coadster32

Great story. Very well told. Glad everything, and everyone is OK. :drool::drool:

U 2 Chris. :omg:

Buzz

Maybe we all could learn something here, have a extinguisher handy when working on the things, can't be to safe.

And............ don't try to outrun Jack when there is a fire involved :omg: