Ralph S

Axle lengths ?

Ralph S

I picked up a spare tranny for my puller and just noticed that the axles are a different length. I don't know what model it came from but the hub on the left side is about flush with the housing and the right side has about 2"s between the housing and wheel hub. Was this common or did someone throw this together with parts they had lying around ? The other tranny I had to choose from was the same way. My 520, C-111, and my 310-8's have an even amount of space on both sides. This has me stumped and confused.

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

I don't have the answer but I'm going to follow along and see what it is....

stevasaurus

Unless someone did go in there and put different length axles in...you have a 6 or 8 speed transmission that has the 10 pinion Limited Slip differentials.  Those differentials had axles of different lengths...one is like 11 3/4" and the other is like 12".  That is the way they are.  If yours has axles the same length, you have an 8 pinion differential.  :occasion-xmas:

The 10 pinion trans are #5060, #5071 and #5073.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ralph S
22 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Unless someone did go in there and put different length axles in...you have a 6 or 8 speed transmission that has the 10 pinion Limited Slip differentials.  Those differentials had axles of different lengths...one is like 11 3/4" and the other is like 12".  That is the was they are.  If yours has axles the same length, you have an 8 pinion differential.  :occasion-xmas:

The 10 pinion trans are #5060, #5071 and #5073.

Are the numbers in the castings and did they run different offset wheels ?

Ralph S

It's an 8 speed. 6 forward and 2 reverse

Ralph S

Was there another purpose for different length axles ? And will they take the abuse of pulling ?

stevasaurus

I may have mis-understood what you have.  After reading your post again, I think I am reading that the axles sticking out from the end of the axle tubes are different.  Even in the 10 pinion differentials, what sticks out of the axle tubes would be the same.  I now think (if that is what is going on), some one was in there and replaced a bad axle with another he found.  Wheel horse used different length axles in order to use different width of tires on there horses...and different types of fenders.

stevasaurus

As far as pullers.  Pullers usually look for the 8 pinion differentials, 1 1/8" axles, 8 speed transmissions.  You will have to open your 2 trannys up and see what is in there.  The axles will work in any of the differentials that use 1 1/8" axles.  I am wondering if you have two axles of one length in two different transmissions.  Obviously, the shorter axles would be stronger then longer ones, but that may be negledgeable if you are talking 1/4".  The splined ends are the same...cut the outer end off and re-key for the hub. (another option)  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

Ralph S

It has a lot more than a 1/4" difference.

20190625_201527.jpg

20190625_201523.jpg

20190625_201457.jpg

20190625_201516.jpg

Ralph S

Does that casting stamp have any significance ? Part number ?

Pullstart

Maybe it was set up for circle track.... but right turns?

• Haha 3

71_Bronco

I just recently picked up a 5060 or 5071 that looks like that as well, with the left side sticking out like that. I haven't torn into the trans yet to see what's going on.

On mine, I swear the square axle tube on the casting is shorter on the left side, (which would explain the exposed axle), but haven't put a tape measure on it to confirm.

stevasaurus

#8163 is the part number for the right side case half.  used for the #5091, 103907 and maybe some other 8 speed transmissions with 1 1/8" axles.  It is not a part number for the #5060 and #5071 10  pinion trannys.

I'd say someone has been in there...just looking at it.  Take off the hubs and pulley and brake drum and open it up.  Keep the shallow side of the trans down...take off the deep side.  Pull out the differential and take some pictures.  :occasion-xmas:

• Thanks 1

Ralph S

I'll do that tonight. Is there a gasket between the 2 halves ?

Ralph S

So there is a good chance that it may be an eight pinion ? My fingers are crossed that it is.

stevasaurus

The gasket is #3912 available from TORO for about $6.  When you pull out the differential...5 bolts is a 10 pinion...4 bolts is an 8 pinion.  remember to show us pictures.

71_Bronco

Heres some pics of mine. Something is definitely up. The brake side hub is about 1" further from the casting wall than the input side.

The brake side square axle support is slightly shorter than the input side square axle support, but only by about 1/8"

20190626_171134.jpg

20190626_171225.jpg

20190626_171237.jpg

stevasaurus

I would not worry about the casting axle housing being off by 1/8".  These are garden tractors, not corvettes after all.  There is one thing that we have not stated yet...I am assuming that all of these hubs are mounted even with the end of the axles.  Here is the deal...the amount of axle sticking out of the casting should be the same  on both sides.  If it is not, some one has been in there...take pictures when you open it up.  There is no telling what you may find in there.:occasion-xmas:

stevasaurus

@71_Bronco ...see that 1" extension on the fill plug??  You are correct...you have a #5060 or #5071 10 pinion Limited Slip transmission.  It could be that someone just put the long axle on the wrong side when put together.  Those axles are different lengths because the differential is off set from the middle.  You need to take pictures also...I want to see what happened...and others want to know also.  The difference between the 5060 and the 5071...aluminum side plates on the 5060 differential...steel side plates on the 5071.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Remember...shallow side down when you open the trans.

Ralph S

I think I found the problem. The snap ring somehow came off the one axle and found its way on the other axle which allowed it to slide out the casing. It turns out to be the 5060 10 pinion. That's a bummer but at least it has the cast iron end plates. Moving forward, it's gonna get all new bearings and seals. We'll see how it holds up to pulling a stone boat.

20190626_201029.jpg

20190626_201018.jpg

20190626_200813.jpg

20190626_200808.jpg

20190626_200803.jpg

20190626_200604.jpg

20190626_200558.jpg

20190626_193819.jpg

20190626_193737.jpg

20190626_190313.jpg

20190626_193727.jpg

Ralph S

It was pretty nasty in there. When I drained it, nothing but water came out. Does anyone sale a complete rebuild kit or do I have to buy each piece at a time ? I was considering using the axles out of a eaton 700 hydr drive rearend if they will fit. the woodriff keyways are a little beat up from this one. Also, it may have an eight pinion differential in it. Just my thoughts. The pump went out on it so I did an 1100 swap on it but the transaxle seemed to still be tighter than this one.

71_Bronco
1 minute ago, Ralph S said:

It was pretty nasty in there. When I drained it, nothing but water came out. Does anyone sale a complete rebuild kit or do I have to buy each piece at a time ? I was considering using the axles out of a eaton 700 hydr drive rearend if they will fit. the woodriff keyways are a little beat up from this one. Also, it may have an eight pinion differential in it. Just my thoughts. The pump went out on it so I did an 1100 swap on it but the transaxle seemed to still be tighter than this one.

Check out a site called "wheel horse parts and more dot com". i believe it is run by a fellow member. He sells complete trans kits with bearings, seals, gaskets etc. I believe you need "Kit 4".

• Like 1

Ralph S

Thanks ! I'll give them a try.

Ralph S
On 6/26/2019 at 8:03 AM, 71_Bronco said:

I just recently picked up a 5060 or 5071 that looks like that as well, with the left side sticking out like that. I haven't torn into the trans yet to see what's going on.

On mine, I swear the square axle tube on the casting is shorter on the left side, (which would explain the exposed axle), but haven't put a tape measure on it to confirm.

What kind of money did you put out for it ? I gave 100 for this one and feel that I gave a little too much after the fact.

stevasaurus

@Ralph S  I would have been very ify on $100 for that trans, but now that you have it open and know what was wrong...plus hubs, brake drum, and pulley, and the gears look great...I think you got a fair deal.  That transmission will be worth $250 or more when you get it back together.  The weird thing is, usually when a "C" clip lets loose, you can see some clean axle sticking out.  Your pictures did not show any of that.  In fact, it looks like somebody painted the axle that way a long time ago.  :notworthy:  When you put in a new "C" clip, one side is sharp and the other is rounded...the sharp side goes toward the center of the transmission.

The Wheel Horse parts and more guy is Lowell.  He is excellent and he will also break up a kit and just sell you what you need. :handgestures-thumbupright:

I am finding what you said about the other unit you have interesting.  If that is a Sundstrand Trans axle, you may very well be able to switch out some parts.  For instance, if you have an 8 pinion differential in there along with the 2 piece mushroom gear, and maybe the different cluster gear shaft...it could be interesting trying that.  Your real problem there is your 10 pinion trans has the brake drum on the mushroom gear shaft...your trans axle has the brake drum on the cluster gear shaft.   Pictures are required if you give this a shot.  :occasion-xmas:

BTW...with the steel side plates on the differential, you have the #5071 transmission.

• Like 1