Sign in to follow this  
Duff

Green tractor question....

Duff

Hi, folks,

Although I'm a solid WH fan and owner, I still have a pair of green tractors :drool: I inherited from my Dad and keep at my Mom's to maintain her property - saves trailering a Horse 20 miles each way during the mowing season!

Anyway, one of the green machines is a '95 STX-46 with probably 3,000 hours on the original Kohler vert engine which runs like a Swiss watch. Gotta love them Kohlers! The hydro tranny, on the other hand, although still functional, is beginning to howl like a banshee when I change speeds or direction. Once it's up to speed it's fairly quiet, but the problem is getting worse and it appears to be losing some power on hills.

My local JD Dealer said the tranny is more trouble (read:expensive] to open up and fix than to simply throw out and replace ($800 for a new unit). I'm not one to just can something if there's a chance I can fix it. So my questions to any JD experts among us are:

-Is this tranny something fixable, or should I follow the dealer's advice?

-If it is fixable, anybody got a decent tranny manual for one of these things? I don't mind RTFM, but I gotta have the FM to read it!

To those who would suggest I just retire the machine...well, let's just say there's some sentimental attachment, and before I got into Horses I actually did a partial rebuild of the rest of the sheet metal and running gear so it's in pretty nice shape for its age.

Thanks to any and all who read and reply!

Duff :omg:

T-Mo

Duff,

Didn't you asked this same questions a few months ago? :omg: Maybe I'm getting senile, or having a deja vue moment, or this was posted by you on another site, but I remember you asking this or something similar a few months back. :drool:

Anyways, your dealer is right - those are unserviceable transmissions. They're Tuff Torq, I believe either a K-51 or K-52, which is basically a K-46 you find in the lesser lawn tractors today. Manuals on these don't exist from JD, as they are unserviceable. You best bet is to contact Tuff Torq directly.

Or you can find another tractor (that transaxle was in a lot of units, JD and otherwise) and do a transplant.

Myself, I would part the tractor out, but I understand if it's your dad's and there is that sentimental value there to you.

Duff

Duff,

Didn't you asked this same questions a few months ago? Maybe I'm getting senile, or having a deja vue moment, or this was posted by you on another site, but I remember you asking this or something similar a few months back.

Anyways, your dealer is right - those are unserviceable transmissions. They're Tuff Torq, I believe either a K-51 or K-52, which is basically a K-46 you find in the lesser lawn tractors today. Manuals on these don't exist from JD, as they are unserviceable. You best bet is to contact Tuff Torq directly.

Or you can find another tractor (that transaxle was in a lot of units, JD and otherwise) and do a transplant.

Myself, I would part the tractor out, but I understand if it's your dad's and there is that sentimental value there to you.

T-Mo, you're NOT getting senile, but maybe I am. I do think I posted this question over a year ago on another site, but darned if I can remember where or if I got any answers. At any rate, your reply has answered my question. :drool:

Sooooo....I really can't bring myself to part the machine out because of the connection to my Dad. Looks like I'll have to run it until the tranny burns/locks/blows up, then *OUCH* spring for a replacement....unless I can scrounge up a working used unit.

Thanks again!

Duff :omg:

Operator

Hey Duff what does that tranny look like? Alum. housing,drive pulley ontop, kind of like a Peerless? How about checking Surplus Center out. I have one I took out of a Murray rear engine , A friend of mine has a JD with the same as mine.

Just a few thoughts.

Randy