Roaddogg

520h 48" deck Max cut height

Roaddogg

I just bought my first Wheel Horse a couple months ago and really like it. Then I found another that's in better condition and bought it also but haven't ran it yet to mow. So my question is what is the max cutting height for these? I would like to go higher but am maxed out at around 3". The deck is leveled good and cuts really nice. I've taken the rear wheel assembly off the deck and cut and welded the height lever assembly so what was the highest setting is now the middle setting but that has now ran into other problems if I try to go higher than the original 3 inches. The roller wheels are not new but still have a little tread left and measure around 6". Both decks appear to have the same thing going on. I am measuring from the concrete to the bottom of the blade/cutting edge. I really love this mower but really want a 3.5-4" cut.

• Like 1

moe1965

I wish they cut a little bit higher to . Maybe someone on here has figured something out I just go to the Highest setting it will go and go slow.  It will chew it up and and do a fine job. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Welcome to Red Square. 

You could go to larger wheels on the back of the deck.  I have used some like this.  They will not last forever but are cheap enough to be replaced.  you may have to use some washers to shim them.  Also make sure you re-level your deck front to rear.

level.JPG

wheel.JPG

• Like 2

clueless

There is a recent post here, a couple of weeks ago, about this. Some good information there.

• Like 1

Roaddogg
17 minutes ago, clueless said:

There is a recent post here, a couple of weeks ago, about this. Some good information there.

Do you know what section it was under by chance?

• Like 1

Roaddogg
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Welcome to Red Square. 

You could go to larger wheels on the back of the deck.  I have used some like this.  They will not last forever but are cheap enough to be replaced.  you may have to use some washers to shim them.  Also make sure you re-level your deck front to rear.

level.JPG

wheel.JPG

I may try the bigger wheels if all else fails. With cutting and rewelding the lever assembly I can get the back wheels to rotate down farther now but it seems like the front mounting bar is binding on the transport lift stops when leveling it but I need to look into it more to see if there's a way around it maybe.

• Like 1

clueless
55 minutes ago, David Rohde said:

Do you know what section it was under by chance?

Same section as this May 28th. The wheel horse decks are designed for a max height of 3.5-3.75 inches after that you start to loss the quality of the cut.

• Like 1

Roaddogg

If I could get it up to that height I think I would be fine with that. I thought if I brought it up I might weld some more metal around the bottom to help keep the lift up inside the deck

• Like 1

Lee1977

The old series 75 decks were the same depth in the front as in the back. Some were around 1980 or so the cut the front of the deck shorter by an inch or so. I have both The 75 series came with my 1977 C-120-8 and the other is an 1985 or 6 that was bought with a 1986 312-8. I think the older deck does a cleaner cut up high then the newer one. I'm one using the upper notch on them with the stock rear wheels.

• Like 1

ericj

let me see if I understand what you are doing, with the deck wheels in the highest setting you are still not mowing high enough ? Did you try to mow with the deck all the way up in the lifted mode ? is this too high ? with a manual lift tractor it is easier to adjust to a in between with the knob on that will adjust how far down your lift handle will go, with a hydro it's harder to always get to the same spot, or height. Most of my neighbors mow lower then I do with there store bought lawn tractors. 

eric j

• Like 1

Roaddogg

Yes I'm on the top lever setting so the wheels are all the way down and it's 3" from the concrete floor to the bottom of the blades. I would like it to be a little higher since it seems the yard likes that more. I would like at least 3.5". 

• Like 1

tommyg

I had the same issue with my 60" deck. After pondering it for quite awhile, I decided to weld an 1 1/2" piece of steel to the end of the arm that supports the wheel. Then I drilled another hole and moved the wheels down. This raised the deck up so that I can get 3" of height one click from the top and 3 1/2" of height  at the highest setting. I also (previously) put another hole at the top of the adjuster to get one more click out of it. While I have not measured the clearance at this setting, I'm betting I get 4" of cutting height. Prior to this adaptation, I could only get 2.75" at the highest setting. 

• Like 1

tunahead72
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:11 PM, Roaddogg said:

Yes I'm on the top lever setting so the wheels are all the way down and it's 3" from the concrete floor to the bottom of the blades. I would like it to be a little higher since it seems the yard likes that more. I would like at least 3.5". 

I think what Eric was suggesting is to raise your deck ALL the way up with the lift lever, so the deck is in the transport position.  I mow with mine set that way a lot, but I do hear it can cause excessive wear on the lift assembly.  But after 30 plus years, I don't see it yet. :)

I would actually like to try using larger diameter wheels, probably 8" like Paul showed above, just haven't gotten to it yet.

• Like 1

520h 48

Does anyone know how to make the Toro wheel horse 48 in mower deck Center blade cut grass as good as the outer 2 because when I get into taller grass the center blade pushes the grass over extent of cutting does anyone have solutions for this 

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
44 minutes ago, 520h 48 said:

Does anyone know how to make the Toro wheel horse 48 in mower deck Center blade cut grass as good as the outer 2 because when I get into taller grass the center blade pushes the grass over extent of cutting does anyone have solutions for this 

I would start by making sure the deck is leveled front to rear.

What condition are the blades in?  Sharp?

• Like 1

520h 48
On 6/20/2022 at 11:11 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

What condition are the blades in?  Sharp?

Sharpen them at the beginning of the mowing season and how do I level the deck 

Edited by 520h 48
  • Like 1

Jeff-C175
14 minutes ago, 520h 48 said:

how do I level the deck 

See post #3 above.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

kpinnc
On 6/20/2022 at 11:11 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

It's actually better to have the front ride slightly lower than the rear. 1/4 inch is plenty.

That provides relief to the rest of the blade circle and greatly reduces the torque required to maintain RPM. 

• Like 2