Firebug

314 clutch return

Firebug

Recently while freshening up my 314-8, found that the clutch return “shock” was worn and defiant want to return completely to engage the clutch. Not wanting to spend nearly $100 for the shock we Found on the older models it used a spring to return it. Fabricated a metal tab and return spring. The tab kept sliding on the rod. Drilled a small hole and put a pin through it to keep tension on the spring. Now I’m finding that the assembly is hanging up on the sheet metal and the clutch isn’t engaging completely. While driving it almost acts like the clutch is “slipping “ almost like it does in a car. Looks like I’ll have to break down and buy the shock. Any suggestions on part numbers or where to get one or any other fixes that will resolve the issue

peter lena

do you have a picture of what you did? sounds like a simple fix, i would also detail lubricate the swing and friction points in question, that might be preventing the complete return of the belt drive tension. that area is often neglected for lube. with your result, pete

Firebug

Can get pictures tomorrow, working today

Racinbob

I don't know what year you have but I'll assume it's when they used a strut to pull back the clutch arm and no spring. If so, there's no need to fabricate anything. Install the spring they have used for years on the left side and pitch that strut. The old # is 1014 and is now 108035. Now it will work fine. :)

Firebug

Where does the spring attach to? On the left side of the pedal? 

doc724

Racinbob is correct.  Use the spring he suggests.  Look under the left side of your tractor.  See the rod which connects to the clutch pedal.  Follow the rod toward the back of the tractor and you will see that the rod goes thru a cam.  The shaft on the cam goes thru the frame to the other side of the tractor.  That cam has two small holes in it where one end of the spring can attach.  The other end of the spring is attached to the top of the left rear axle housing.  There is a small hole drilled in there.  By the way, buy two springs and keep one as a spare.  They do break.

• Like 1