sscotsman

Repair of 1964 RM-364 mower deck

sscotsman

Hello Red Square forum..

the video is the message! :)

Im attempting a first time (1st time for me) spindle repair on a WH mower deck..

ran into a snag, not sure where to go next..

thanks!

Scot

Video with details:

https://youtu.be/4nfwIYRMebA

Edited by sscotsman

daveoman1966

You need to remove the pillow block that the vertical gear is mounted in.  Then put the spur gear in place, with woodruff key. Put the pilow block back in place, engaging the vertical gear with the spur gear.  Two bolts hold the pillow block from underneath...may hav to remove both of them.

• Like 1

squonk

Be careful. Those threads in those blocks like to strip. Oh 1 more thing. YOU NEED A LOT MORE RAGS! :)

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

Marv

:text-yeahthat:

sscotsman

Thsnks Dave!

Unfortunately im not quite folliwing you, I cant determine what the "pillow block" is or which screws you are refeering to.. could you tell me the part numbers on the diagram?

Thanks,

Scot

pfrederi

Pillow Block is bearing housing #37  Bolts come up from the bottom  27&28   and Plus 1 on Squonks warning...The housing is pot metal and  i have stripped more than one.  Helicoil time.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Excellent 1

squonk
18 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Pillow Block is bearing housing #37  Bolts come up from the bottom  27&28   and Plus 1 on Squonks warning...The housing is pot metal and  i have stripped more than one.  Helicoil time.

No ++++'s on the rags warning Paul? :(     :)

sscotsman

Ah! Excellent, thanks, I see it now. I'll take a look at it after work tomorrow, and report back with how it went..any tips on how to minimize the odds of thread stripping? Any special techniques?

Thanks,

Scot

rjg854

Just be sure you can thread the bolt in by hand a few turns, you'll feel if it's threading properly.  Make sure the bolt is nice and clean to start with ;)

• Like 1

71_Bronco

I had to do the same thing with my deck, same gear drive style, but later 36" deck. In order to get a pair of belts on, I had to remove the spindle (as you did), remove the gear and pillow blow, slide on the belts, and reassemble. Little time consuming, but got it done.

Just make sure your spindle is timed properly when re-installing, so your blades dont hit. I messed up mine and it is 1 tooth off. Not enough to make the blades hit, but enough that I'm going to pull it back apart to fix it (now that I know how to take it apart and reassemble)

sscotsman

Success! I got it fixed! :)

removing the two bolts gave *just* enough clearance to get the job done..

removing the two bolts didnt allow the pillow block to be removed, it only allowed it to be lifted slightly, about a quarter inch..but that was enough.

I put the spindle and gear in place, lifted the gear to the top of the spindle..then, in the gap between the gear and the deck, I had just enough space to slide in the woodruff key into the slot in the spindle, with needle nose pliers, then tap down the gear into the woodruff key. Put the bolts back in, new snap-ring installed..done! A tricky and fiddly job, but once I figured out what needed to done, it wasnt too bad.

Thanks for the help everyone! :) my 55 year old Wheel Horse 854 survives to mow another day..

Scot

• Excellent 1

rjg854

Great news!  Glad to hear you're back on the range :text-bravo: