prondzy

HELP! Kohler k161 coil

prondzy

Does anyone know where a guy can get one of these coils? Its on a k161 pull start motor20190609_102924.jpg.73dcf3e26d65fb22ff24e1c23d5077c9.jpg20190609_103102.jpg.55928de7a1cc2d3df04868db64d727fd.jpg

wallfish

Pretty sure that's a Bendix coil. It looks a little different than the one I had on a K90 but the way it's constructed and the cracking of the epoxy looks the same.

Not sure about finding one of those but I just ended up switching the plate, coil and flywheel after giving up on the search

pfrederi

Set Coil and Condenser 231632

Condenser  231719

231718 Coil

231631 Rotor

All but first one are on EBAY but $$$

Be careful engines with spec Suffix prior to F (yours) use different part ##S

Your engine was made for Eska

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

prondzy

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

wallfish

I don't think you can remove that original coil portion from the lamination part but could be mistaken. I know the Bendix coil I had could not be removed without destroying it and cutting it off and then a normal replacement coil was to big of a diameter and didn't fit. Did I miss seeing one like his in the search for 231718 Coil  ?

I see there are clips on each end holding the laminated piece of the coil onto the lower section in the pic which is why I assume it might be the same.

WHNJ701

sure its not a k160 with k161 shroud???, you can get repro ones for 50 bucks on ebay, I recently got one for my bolens ride matic.  

look under chainsaws 

buckrancher
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

I don't think you can remove that original coil portion from the lamination part but could be mistaken. I know the Bendix coil I had could not be removed without destroying it and cutting it off and then a normal replacement coil was to big of a diameter and didn't fit. Did I miss seeing one like his in the search for 231718 Coil  ?

I see there are clips on each end holding the laminated piece of the coil onto the lower section in the pic which is why I assume it might be the same.

there's a clip on each end you pop off

prondzy

I ended up putting on a different coil and flywheel off of a k141 and it works.

• Excellent 1

wallfish
2 hours ago, buckrancher said:

there's a clip on each end you pop off

The lamination piece that runs through the center of the coil is what I'm referring to.

Are those type of coils with the laminated piece still available?

wallfish

Saw those but think they are different as I don't see a place for plug wire on them for a small air cooled engine

DarylJ

This thread is old, but maybe someone here will chime in anyway.  Looking at this Bendix Scintilla coil….is it possible to adjust the air gap?  Or, is it pre-set and non-adjustable? If adjustable, how is it done?  Thanks to any one who can shed light on this!

gwest_ca

• Like 1

DarylJ

Thanks for suggesting this.  Actually, I had already looked at this manual, but there is no mention of the magneto coil, much less any adjustment.  Unless I was unable to find it, but I did look carefully at the ignition section.  The coil is a Bendix Scintilla model K1-1, a long obsolete unit.  As far as I can see on it, there is no way to adjust the air gap between the coil shoes and the rotating magnet on the crankshaft mounted disc beneath them.  It appears they are precisely placed at the factory, and there is no visible means to adjust any gap.  I ask because on mine, one of the 4 lobes on the rotating magnet disc rubs directly on the shoes above it. Wouldn’t this direct contact cause the coil to be incapable of producing an induced current (ignition spark)?  If so, I have more problems than just the coil being inoperative.  Of the four magnetic lobes on the rotating magnet, the one which rubs has a much stronger magnetic attraction than do the three lobes which do not rub.  Trying to figure this out….

gwest_ca

Page 6.1 and 6.2

Did not know the spark plug gap controls the engine timing.

• Like 1

DarylJ

It doesn’t.  The manual mentions the “spark gap” but not spark plug gap.  Spark gap is referring to the ignition points gap which is adjusted to change timing.

• Like 1