DarrellF

Broke D 200 rear hub what a day!

DarrellF

Well thought I was a good mechanic hmmm, 60 years old and worked as a mechanic for many years.

Now I'm disabled and dont have access to torches and all the steel to make things like I use to.

So I tried to pull the rear hub to get new rear seal. Well I never looked here first, My big mistake.

After I tried pulling the rear hub and breaking it, I found out all the facts about pulling one. I thought for sure a 3 jaw puller would do this job no problem, after looking here I see these hubs just don't pull right off, so now I need a hub and a puller to fix my mistakes.

The broken hub is still on the axle. I don't have he equipment anymore to build a puller. Any of you guys interested in making me a puller? 

And a cost for making it for a D200 I see it has to pull from the back side. Also I'm going to need to find a hub.

Any suggestions thanks Darrell

857 horse

Darrell,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you may be in luck........The biggest wheelhorse show on the Planet is being held in Bieglersville.PA  the weekend of june 20,,21,,22          YEP in 2 weeks...the part will be there.....everykind of help will be there,,,,,,500 tractors.....good food......THE BEST PEOPLE....... I kid you not...........!!!!!!

Now,,,,all your questions will be answered ,,most likley before the end of the day.................

Dont miss the show,,,,,you have friends to meet,,that you havnt met yet.....  that sound right???!!!???!?!?!?

Good to meet you,,,,good luck,,,,,help is coming...... 

stay safe...................857Horse Howard.in VA

• Heart 2

DarrellF

Howard thank you so much wow that was fast thanks for the info I'll be looking...

JoeM

D you got any pics of what you are dealing with?

DarrellF

I’ll take some today

DarrellF

image.jpeg.102e78087cfe1a8664d97355f13f5306.jpegimage.jpeg.e2bc331395f57b22d45487eead42e93c.jpegimage.jpeg.0e8b5a19635c071c77089928cd902394.jpegimage.jpeg.c474d8055dcc47fc45884976039db27a.jpegimage.jpeg.5983d436194ec049356391f8bc4b351a.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

DarrellF

Made a relief cut in the hub with cut off wheel came right off, cleaned up Axle  now going to start digging the key out. Think I'll be looking for 2 hubs,keys and rear axle seals. Before I start on the other side. I'm going to really take my time with the other side, I'm going to be sure I don't break that other hub even if it takes me a week to get it off. I've learned my lesson. In my opinion I have no idea why they didn't spline the axles or at least put in 2 key ways one 33 degrees from the main key way.

Edited by DarrellF

Marv

Darrell,

I have a new hub. If you go to the show you will probably find one there though. 

Marv

• Heart 1

DarrellF

I'll take that hub Marv 👍

Edited by DarrellF

pacer

Hubs are a real pain -- on all the horses. And to my thinking the D's are the worst. Ive had to pull a total of 6 D hubs, the first 2 I had your luck and had to use a cutoff wheel after breaking them to get them off, another 2 I managed to get off by building a massive 6 bolt puller and using a 3/4" impact letting it hammer for about 15 min a side. The last 2 even the big puller and impact wrench wouldnt do it, I was going into the differential anyhow so I pulled it and separated the cases and took the the axles out of the cases. Using a 20 ton hyd press we were about to give up on it even doing it when ---- POW !! it broke loose, had to use great pressure til the very end to get them off!

• Like 1

DarrellF

Hey Pacer I hear ya, When I first looked I thought no big deal haha well then I came here read the stories and found out different.

After seeing what the key looked like I know I have to pull the other side the key is destroyed on this side I hope not so bad for the other

but I want it to be tip top before I go on making her my baby 🤗 The one thing I will ask ya? I'm posting this pic and tell me what you think. Wonder if you axle looked like this?

image.jpeg

JoeM

Great job on getting that broken hub off!

I figure those skid marks are from a previous issue. Maybe that hub came loose before and the set screw dug into the axle?? Or someone missed the key with the screw??

I think I would borrow some heat for the other side. If the seal is not leaking on that side, pull lever B.  

Splines..........I suppose it is all about manufacturing costs. Hubs on all the machines seems to be an issue. I already had a machine that a PO ran long enough loose to undersize the axle enough that a good hub was to loose. It was an 1 1/8 axle. I had a 1 inch hub bored 002 under and heat a bit then installed. Rather than taking a good running hydro and splitting the case.

• Like 1

pacer

That key/key way ????? My first impression was it had been welded? But then again? that is weird....

DO let us know what is going on there....

• Like 1

DarrellF

I think your right about welding. Its almost like they milled a slot and then welded right up to the keyway, I’m having a real issue getting whats left of the key out. Not sure they didn’t weld the key on the front side of the axle, now would anyone be that stupid.

Not sure what to do. 🤔 

Edited by DarrellF

DarrellF

Ok looks like I have some choices to make.

1. I can keep digging and try and get this key out, and if its been welded in sooner or later ill find that out even if I ruin the key way in the process. 

2. I could try and find another axle.

3. I could have this axle welded and have a new key way cut.

4. I could try and find a rear end.

5. I could try and find a donor D200 for parts. 

Anyone have any better ideas or options any help would be appreciated!

Thanks Darrell 

pfrederi

Many shops can mill a straight keyway..a woodruff key way is harder.  They may have milled a straight slot then welded i t ack to be a sort of woodruff.   (kinda  what????)   First I would go to A to Z in the vendor section see if he has an axle.  second have a straight key way milled and use a straight key.

• Like 1

DarrellF

I think you hit it on the head. Ty pfrederi 

leadfoot1958

I just broke 2 Hubs on my D200. i need to know where i can get 2 new or good used ones. I am rebuilding a D200 and putting a front end loader on it. I really need these hubs. 

The Tuul Crib
On 6/7/2019 at 6:04 PM, DarrellF said:

image.jpeg.102e78087cfe1a8664d97355f13f5306.jpegimage.jpeg.e2bc331395f57b22d45487eead42e93c.jpegimage.jpeg.0e8b5a19635c071c77089928cd902394.jpegimage.jpeg.c474d8055dcc47fc45884976039db27a.jpegimage.jpeg.5983d436194ec049356391f8bc4b351a.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ouch!!!

pfrederi
12 hours ago, leadfoot1958 said:

I just broke 2 Hubs on my D200. i need to know where i can get 2 new or good used ones. I am rebuilding a D200 and putting a front end loader on it. I really need these hubs. 

Try A to Z tractor in the vendors section here     a-ztractor.com