Mudrig150

John deere 317-it came home

Mudrig150

Ugh. Engine decided it had enough and the gasket for the oil filter adapter blew out. Leaking oil like mad. The oil sentry does work, and the engine builds enough oil pressure.

Both hydro relief valves blew out simultaneously, I had the release buttons pressed down and was trying to test out if the hydraulics worked...

My amp meter works, and I got the battery tie down in... 

Also now the engine is bone dry. Carb is totally blocked up, no fuel getting to anything.

Mudrig150

Pulled the motor out of the 317... Turns out I had a mishap with my oil filter and need another gasket. It cut the gasket and blew out the top. Guess that for the cost of it I'm running the stuck free wheel valves out of my 300 instead of rebuilding the ones in it. 

Mudrig150

Needs an adjustable carb... It's flooding the intake. After literally just draining the old gas out, it's already just a bit better off. It ran for a whole minute, just purring away, then I tried to move the tractor and it stalled with 0 power.

Edited by Mudrig150

Mudrig150

Well, I got a new carb from Isavetractors and threw it on. Engine started right up, and I finally got the 317 to run good. Dropped it off the jack, and gave it its first drive since 2003.

• Like 1

Mudrig150

Well I finally got up the farm and ran the 317 again. Engine ran fine and started right up, but the hydro is acting up. It's super slow now and acts like it has no power. It was all going fine, I unloaded the little 2 axle trailer we have, then I was coming to put the tractor away and put the trailer back, then the engine just... Stopped. Engine fouled both plugs and even after doing everything I could, it won't start. It blows white smoke while turning over and it pops once or twice. For now, it's stranded in the field. That's a little disappointing, the second drive and it's already broken down.

Mudrig150

Well, I am happy to say that after some work (and fouling the spark plugs) that the 317 is back at it again.

I cleaned the plugs and the tractor ran fine for a bit, but the rich carb setting killed it again. I sanded the plugs again and turned the carb main jet screw in, seems fine now. It does have a problem where the tractor cant go down hills because without a load the engine just dies. It starts to stall, but you put it in neutral it's fine.I was going down a hill and it started to die, but I stopped it, and I made another discovery which has me relieved. The transmission seems fine in reverse, not weak at all. I think the problem is that the forward freewheel valve has a bad internal seal, and the first drive knocked the seal out of place where it was sealing. Luckily it does seem like the transmission is fine.

Still got the exhaust leak to fix, but it's looking good so far.

Mudrig150

I was right. I pushed down the button on the reverse freewheel valve and the tractor suddenly was easily rolled in both direction. Pushed the other one down and it only moved forward. I swapped the old valves back in and it took literally a 1/4 inch pushing forward on the hydro handle to notice the difference. It's about 2 mph faster, can climb hills going forward, it doesn't take off down hills, and I can roll the tractor again.

I guess that's good, my pump is fine but I still have the engine dying without load issue, but I can live with that.

Although, I am sad that my chipper muffler I put on the tractor has a ton of pinholes in it, and the flanges are rotted, so the exhaust leak is a lot worse then I thought.

Mudrig150

There. Swapped the tiny clogged tank shutoff filter with an inline filter, and after sitting for like 3 months, with slightly off gas, and a dead battery (with a boost pack to help it) it started right up.

Here's a video.

Edited by Mudrig150