71_Bronco

Hard Going Into 2nd

71_Bronco

Have a Commando 8, with the 3+reverse unidrive.

When I was mowing, I had a couple times where it would not want to go into 2nd. It was going into reverse, 1st, and 3rd no problem.

I did notice that of I was rolling when I tried to put it in 2nd, it would work fine. Basically, I would put it in reverse, and back up. Then, as I was rolling backward, I'd push the clutch in (not enough to make it brake), put it into 2nd, finish pushing the pedal to make myself stop, then release it to drive forward.

I did have times where the shifter would go fine into 2nd, no issues, and no rolling.

Is this normal? Or is this a sign I need to tear down the trans?

ebinmaine

I'm going with not normal.

Also, you're probably aware that these transmissions should NEVER change gears while in motion. It will damage the gears.

I'll let the resident experts advise a course of action.

I  can tell you that some transmissions seem to have a bit of a personality.

Trina's 867 drives fine and stays in gear but it doesn't like to shift into any particular gear from a stop.

71_Bronco

When I shift "in motion", I feel like the moving trans acts like synchro. I dont even let the clutch go (while in 2nd) while I'm rolling backwards.

Also, when I pop it into 2nd, there is no grinding.

Edit: if what I'm doing is bad for the trans, I wont do it anymore. I've only done it a small handful of times when I couldnt get the shifter in 2nd while stopped.

Edited by 71_Bronco

rjg854

sometimes I need to double clutch in order for it to go into gear I want it in. It will drop into the other gears just fine.  But if it won't go into the gear I want, I let the clutch out and then push it back in, it will then go into that gear.  Just a quirk I suppose.  I guess after 50 some years it's a bit finicky.

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

feel like the moving trans acts like synchro

I can see the logic there.

I'm thinking as long as you are moving VERY SLOWLY the damages would be minimal.

5 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

after 50 some years it's a bit finicky

I'm not even 50 and I'm already finicky.

That can't be a good sign....

71_Bronco
2 hours ago, rjg854 said:

sometimes I need to double clutch in order for it to go into gear I want it in. It will drop into the other gears just fine.  But if it won't go into the gear I want, I let the clutch out and then push it back in, it will then go into that gear.  Just a quirk I suppose.  I guess after 50 some years it's a bit finicky.

I'll try the "double clutch" method next time.

Are the gears beveled to help them line up and engage? Or are they flat?

And like I said, what makes it even odder is that sometimes it goes into gear fine, and sometimes it wont go into gear, no matter how hard I push on the shift handle.

I'm planning on a tear down of this trans at some point. The trans fluid was quite brown and yucky when I got the tractor. Plus, the axle seals need to be replaced. If I park it on hill, it will slowly drip fluid out of the axle housing. But if the tractor remains on level ground, no leakage.

pfrederi

Straight cut gears do not always slide together nicely.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

stevasaurus

As long as there is no grinding, you would not be hurting the transmission.  Make sure there is no slop in the shifter (lock nut and set screw)...it should be snug when shifting.  The next thing would be to open the transmission and inspect the 2nd/3rd fork gear and (most likely) the cluster gear.  A bad or worn bearing on the cluster gear shaft and/or the spline shaft could also be the cause.  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

wallfish

It's the gears deadheading each other once in a while. Happens on everyone of my manual transmissions every once in a while. Normal. I also do the double clutch thing. That goes for the high low shifter too

71_Bronco

Thanks again guys. Glad to know I'm not going crazy, and good to know my trans is not about to blow up any second.

itsmeraymond
On 6/3/2019 at 8:14 AM, 71_Bronco said:

Thanks again guys. Glad to know I'm not going crazy, and good to know my trans is not about to blow up any second.

best of luck