ohiofarmer

Quick fix on a 40 year old starter solenoid

ohiofarmer

I could not figure out why the starter would not activate on a B-80 i was working on. The solenoid clicked strongly, so I immediately suspected my wiring skills as I was also working on a forest of not so great previous repairs held on by electrical tape as the splice medium.

Finally, I checked the continuity across the lugs and it was apparent that the thing was not making contact. Same thing happened when i robbed a ' last year known working solenoid"  taken from a blown engine.  That old Solenoid was an original, so i simply drilled a small hole through the metal cap at the end opposite the starting lug connections.  I placed the little red straw through the Deep Creep can and fired some of the penetrant through the hole. Five minutes later i had a fully functioning American made factory original good for another forty years.

Beats buying a chinese replacement any day.  The first solenoid from the B-80 was a former replacement did not respond to the deep creep treatment, so maybe it will get an autopsy.  So lesson learned is to not trust a solenoid that clicks because the thing may be stuck internally

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

oliver2-44

There was an old thread on here by a Professor who did a lot of electrical topics. He had one where he disassembled the solenoid.  If I recall correctly, he said the round button contact would wear on one side, and you could just rotate it to the other side. Keep us posted if you disassemble and try to repair it. 

ohiofarmer

No need to take it apart. After sitting a day, the other solenoid came back to life. 

Don'tcha just love free fixes?