Sign in to follow this  
HORSEOFCOURSE

Project Dually, Breaking Parts Allready.

HORSEOFCOURSE

i have what i think it is a 753 or 853 but anyways i have made my own dual wheel adapters out of 2 x 4's and it seems to be a good setup. anyways i have a greyhound brand engine on it from harbor freight and it has a pulley from tractor supply on it. this is the same tractor that kept getting jammed into two gear at once. that part of it is fine and works great now. back to the pulley now, today i was mudding with it with the duals on it and everything was fine and i was working it pretty hard and the mud was getting deeper. the whole tractor started shaking real bad like the belt was shredding, and then it quit moving alltogether. come to find out the pulley had sheared in two. this is not an aluminum pulley either, it is a 2 piece steel pulley on the motor that came apart. i think the belt was slipping cause i was spinning the tires in high gear the whole time. just wondered if something like this has happened to others and what a recommendation would be to prevent this. thanks in advance. here is some pics of the carnage.

HORSEOFCOURSE

the pulley

Attached Image

post-6-1238979288.jpg

HORSEOFCOURSE

another pics of the pulley

Attached Image

post-6-1238979349.jpg

HORSEOFCOURSE

the culprit

Attached Image

post-6-1238979402.jpg

HORSEOFCOURSE

another pic

Attached Image

post-6-1238979465.jpg

BTK07

Hi HORSEOFCOURSE,

What I would do is take the pulley back to TSC and tell them you want a new one and a new belt that it tore up. Be sure to take the belt with you.

Bill from N.W. IN.

Coadster32

Cool mudding pics!!

jerrell

:drool: it looks like that little HF engine was up to the task, have you had any problems with it, how does it perform??? :omg:

iicap

I know it is highly polished from slipping and you stated 2 piece pulley. I think you want a pulley that is machined from 1 piece of steel which would be a lot more heavy duty, especially in the harsh enviornment that you using the tractor

HORSEOFCOURSE

i got a new one from TSC tonight. they warranted it since i am a regular customer. i am still looking for a heavier pulley for it though. the little greyhound engine from HF is a real good runner. i have probaly about 20 Hours on it and for being 6.5hp it has a lot of gump. it sounds good too and it will run forever on a little bit of gas. it spins the dualls with ease. even with my 275 lb rump on it. :drool: it is an emission engine so it needs to warm up a little before you use it and it requires a choke even when hot to start it. it runs smooth like a sewing machine. not too bad for about 100 bucks brand new. i was thinking about putting one on my raider 9 as it has an old 8hp briggs that has less power than this new engine. time will tell how long they last but i figured i use this on occasion, it would be ideal for it. i think i got a deck around for it somewheres too. i also have a 210 deere with the 11hp model on it and it is also a strong runner, as it has electric start and a small charging system. i got that for about 200 {display model}. both of these engines i got the 3 yr warranty on for a little extra. that was included in the price that i quoted above. i was thinking about getting a header for the 6.5hp as they are used in go carts alot for racing. i guess they turn them real fast and beat on them and they hold up well. its a runner as is it! :omg:

Don1977

Put on a good pulley made from cast iron, they don't slip much and you can break it somewhere else.

HORSEOFCOURSE

i have been using another pulley and it has worked of for lawn rolling duty. i have an all steel solid pulley on order from a local bearing and pulley supplier. i changed the rear end oil again and put in lucas 85-140 gear oil in it. i have been using it for about 2 days strait and haven;t had no problems with it grenading a pulley as i have been careful with it and used a lower gear. all in all it has been a good tractor since i fixed the transaxle and repowered it and put the dualls on it. i wil have a pic of it tommorow

Butch

have probaly about 20 Hours on it and for being 6.5hp it has a lot of gump. it sounds good too and it will run forever on a little bit of gas. it spins the dualls with ease. even with my 275 lb rump on it.

But can it push snow up the Depauville hill? :omg:

HorseFixer

Pretty :drool: Muffin! Did you say Duals? Looks like one wide Tire to me! :drool: Get a pop sickle Stick make some treads in that mud and spray some flat black on there and really throw everyone off! :omg:

HORSEOFCOURSE

here it is.

HORSEOFCOURSE

lets try this again

HorseFixer

You keep tryin bro but I don't see nuttin? :omg:

jerrell

:omg: nice looking tractor and a little muddy, :drool: looks like mine, my c175 stays muddy, as it has rained almost every other day for the last 3 months around here, i just bought a 603 with one set of ags , but had the big heavy cast iron dually adapters, have to get another set of ags to put on it . the 603 has 3 lug bolts and i'm thinking thats a lot of pressure on the hub, i have never seen a pic of the heavy adapters and was wondering if they were special as they only have 3 lug holes but are spaced with a round indent for the other bolt holes , could these be drilled out for the standard 5 hole wheels, and do they make a 5 hole hub to fit the 603 :drool:

HORSEOFCOURSE

i don;t see why you couldn;t drill them out. maybe a pic would get us a better view of the situation.

plowmaster

theres mud in watertown too, eh?

i think we have had close to two inches of rain since thursday.

htopjimmy26

I just wanted to say Hello Muffin, I see from your sig that you are not to far from me. I actually mow my grandmothers yard in Burrville with one of my C195s a couple of miles outta Watertown.