Sign in to follow this  
WHC-125

Mower Deck Restore

WHC-125

After about 3 years of having my 48 inch deck I decided to restore it. I ordered a deck kit off ebay for it that comes with wheels, blades, belts, and a new idlers pulley all for $100(Not bad). It was pretty bad before with practically all of the paint peeling off and had a few cracks, but then thanks to Jeff(Fireman) for helping me get them welded, "Bill" and I attempting to do it before but his welder blew a hole right through it :omg:. So I bought a few cans of primer and a few cans of Sunrise Red from Wally World and I think it came out pretty good but all I have to do now is the belt covers, underside with undercoating and the bracketry. Also, does anyone have the brackets that the wheels mount on to?

Before

C-125002.jpg

3-20-09001.jpg

3-20-09002.jpg

3-20-09003.jpg

After

4-4-09002.jpg

More pictures soon to come....

Docwheelhorse

Chris DON'T use undercoat on the bottom..... make sure it is as clean as possible and put a think coat of paint or POR15 on it. Hit it with a spray can of rust converting primer first. Undercoat makes the grass stick and doesn;t help in the rust department. Water gets behind it and rots everything faster. I like the shade of red... not bad for Walmart paint

Ummm---what brackets for the wheels, I might be able to help but the back wheels are mounted on that complete assembly thats welded together.

Tony

WHC-125

Tony, the front L shaped brackets. Mine are more down to almost have their original diameter, because of how bad the wheels were.

TJ

Looks like it is well on it's way to recovery. :omg:

GlenPettit

Chris:

Best thing for the Deck Underside: (1) Clean/sandblast everything off, (2) metal 'etch', (3) best primer - several coats, (4) gloss smooth finish of paint (I'ld recommend white), (5) then 'Slip Plate' black Graphic Paint [about $10/qt at good Hardware or Farm Supply Stores . . . one coat will last you all mowing season, the white will show you where to recoat, even wet grass just won't stick, slides off easily, "farmers use this to make grain slide in the chutes easier"].

Also, do what Dale suggests and use a double blade on each spindle, at 90

stevebo

:omg: Chris, Nice to see you actually painting something. coming out nice.