Mudrig150

My new 1969 John deere 140 H1

ebinmaine

Gotcha.

If it's a good price on a rare item then maybe you can wait a few weeks to get the ATF.

Mudrig150
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Gotcha.

If it's a good price on a rare item then maybe you can wait a few weeks to get the ATF.

From what I can tell, ATF is about 5$-7$ a quart. I need about 3 quarts. Either way, I'll have enough for the ATF, I think. The grille looks like it's a 68, it looks like its been painted black and the black is flaking off. The bentness and the rust it has fits Larry perfectly.

Don't seem like the locking tabs are broke or anything, the whole thing's just bent.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Mudrig150
  • Like 1

Mudrig150

You know what, I'm gonna do it. It's not everyday you find the perfect part to fit the patina of your machine, especially when the machine is as beat as Larry. And if I can get him down to 15$, even better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mudrig150

Got my grille, and got it in. Larry is looking nice.

Guess I'm only adding 2 pictures instead of all 3 because I can only upload 5.7 MB of pictures.

20191010-195835.jpg

20191010-200205.jpg

ebinmaine

Nice match on the patina like you said earlier. That was a good addition.

You can get rid of the ads and have unlimited photos if you become a supporter. Always a great idea as that's what keeps this website running.

• Like 1

Mudrig150
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Nice match on the patina like you said earlier. That was a good addition.

Even the rust line across the hood support lines up.

• Like 1

Mudrig150

So excited! Got my axle seal in. Also found out why the brakes on my 210 didn't work, lol. On the left is the old brake disc, right is a new one. Notice something...missing?
Pulled the brakes off, and found out that the bolt for the brake adjustment was falling out, which is why my brakes don't work. Checked out patio 140 and the rotor is so worn that, even when the nuts are on the bolt shoulder, the pads don't touch when the brakes are locked. Now I should have turning brakes, but the pedals are locked together.
Any tricks for separating them?

Surprised when I pulled the axle apart and found there were two seals, previous owner literally just put a second seal in front of the first one when the old one started leaking. Only problem is that they put the the new seal in backward. When it started leaking, they covered literally everything in orange RTV and called it a day. It still leaked, so they just gave up.
Also found my keyway has a small chunk out of it from when they tried knocking the key out with a hammer. It's also missing the felt washer on the outside dirt shield.

I ATF on the outside and rubber part of the seal, put it in rubber side in, and lightly tapped it in. Did I do it right?

So excited, Larry, who's been sitting for over 2 decades is finally going to run, just need to drill out the screws in the brand new Carter 26 carb I have, and get it on the K241!

20191027-151846.jpg

20191027-175242.jpg

Mudrig150

Took the air cleaner off, and of course, the carb decided to start pouring out fuel. Ended up getting it off, but not before making a mess. Tried to take the muffler elbow off, it's been soaking for almost a month and it had heat, but it broke off with the slightest force. Ended up chiselling it out of the block.
Got the motor back out. Checked inside the motor, and it turns out I definitely have stuck rings. There's a ton of compression leaking into the crankcase. Hopefully there's enough to get it to run.
Took the shrouds off to clean them out. A nice shower of rust poured from the flywheel shroud. Also, there was a huge mouse nest packed into the space behind the coil shroud. Pulled that out, and ended up going home for the day.'
Ended up taking the tire off the back and setting the tractor down on a block with some paper towels on it. Now to test if my axle seal is still leaking.

Mudrig150

After getting my carb done I decided to mount my ag tire on the rim. Went through the trouble of marking the rim, fighting it on with its stiff bead, and even got the tire machine stuck on the bead of the tire, then found out there was a staple in the bag that the tube came in, which punctured a hole in it. Had to pull the tube BACK out so my pap can patch it. Thanks UPS for ruining a brand new tube before it even left the box...

20191105-190250.jpg

Mudrig150

Motor back together and sat in the frame. Gotta get it bolted down and all the control stuff hooked up, then oil, fuel, and transmission fluid and we'll be set to run...

Used our new torque wrench to torque the oil pan bolts down, it was amazing actually feeling a "click click!", unlike our other torque wrench which is over 90+ foot pounds off (set it to 10 ft/lbs, it sets to over 100).

• Like 1

Mudrig150

Larry is ready.

Engine bolted in, muffler pipe cut and muffler on, air cleaner on, electrical reworked, cables hooked up, oil and ATF in, and driveshaft bolted up. Also hooked up my headlight (yes, headlight, as in one)

Now to pull the battery tray and fix the loose steering box and throw my ag tire together and put the set on before I run him.

20191107-190532.jpg

• Like 1

Mudrig150

20191107-190022.jpg

• Like 1

Mudrig150

This makes me feel... VERY uncomfortable.

Also, our shed is a wreck. He still have to get the 455 out to replace the power steering lines.

20191119-154159.jpg

Mudrig150

20191119-154450.jpg

Mudrig150

So, I had a whole fiasco over the weekend. Pulled the air cleaner to drain the gas out of the carb, pulled the bowl off the carb, the fuel I pulled out was brown. Probably why I had no fire. Rerouted fuel line, spilled gas everywhere (fuel tank had a bubble escape which shot fuel all out of the funnel, which fills the entire fuel filler hole), and then I decided to roll her outside. After some wiring diagnoses, found out my main power wire for the key switch fell off. Put it back on, turned the key, and well, she smokes. Doesn't run, but there's at least something. Sometimes comes out of the muffler, but most of the time, it comes out of the carb. Guessing I'm gonna have to do some valve work?

Mudrig150

Here's the problem.

WHNJ701
On 12/16/2019 at 7:27 AM, Mudrig150 said:

So, I had a whole fiasco over the weekend. Pulled the air cleaner to drain the gas out of the carb, pulled the bowl off the carb, the fuel I pulled out was brown. Probably why I had no fire. Rerouted fuel line, spilled gas everywhere (fuel tank had a bubble escape which shot fuel all out of the funnel, which fills the entire fuel filler hole), and then I decided to roll her outside. After some wiring diagnoses, found out my main power wire for the key switch fell off. Put it back on, turned the key, and well, she smokes. Doesn't run, but there's at least something. Sometimes comes out of the muffler, but most of the time, it comes out of the carb. Guessing I'm gonna have to do some valve work?

try a new ngk plug with the correct gap 

Mudrig150
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

try a new ngk plug with the correct gap 

Brand new plug with correct gap. It has good spark.

Mudrig150

Okay, so, I did a valve job and I thought it went bad, so I left him pretty much to sit. He's been having issues with not starting, he popped a couple times and did nothing.

Today I finally went up the farm and was going to finish the oil change, but I decided that I was going to try and get Larry running. I first tried and he wouldn't do anything, I sprayed carb cleaner in and got nothing. I then checked the points and they seemed like they were grounding against the cover because the wire is pretty well pulling out of the connector. I didn't touch anything, then I tried just opening the throttle.

He popped of and started right up, ran pretty good. Well, he runs now, albeit only only carb cleaner.