Cvans

If this has already been covered by someone let me know please and I will delete this. 

I have just recently put an older WH back in operation and am impressed with how much it will do with so little horsepower. The other thing is how stable it is when mowing side hill and road ditches. My newer mower doesn't come close. Having a bad Back there is one thing that would keep me from using it and that is the seat being rigidly fastened to the tractor. So I set about to rectify the problem.

First thing was to dig in the parts bin and I came up with two suspension brackets from a Cub Cadet. These work well for mounting on the rear fender pan of the Wheel Horse. 

thumbnail.jpg.65adc3f1c20c669c5037307ba3fb93a7.jpg

790100605_thumbnail(1).jpg.ccf42922a4f0601deb7f65e72d191479.jpg

At this time I'm only using the front two bolts to attach the seat. Being larger than the average bear these brackets would bottom out when I hit a bump so a spring from an old Simplicity seat was added to the back and now the seat works good. No more jolting the spine. Because the seat was only raised 1 1/2" the stability is still excellent. And there is no safety switch in the seat you can slide your backside over as far as you want without killing the engine. 

324719907_thumbnail(3).jpg.a6c344731b7cfb4edde04cdd3ed4f3aa.jpg

The CC seat brackets were obtained from flea-bay and would imagine the Simplicity spring could be purchased from a dealer or used parts vender. 

After mowing with this setup I will be doing it to the next one also. 

Edited by Cvans
  • Like 4

clueless

WH makes the same seat spring and the bolt hole line up with tractor and seat. ebay.

• Like 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:if you give them a shot of red we'll never say the were CC :ychain:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

71_Bronco

I just picked up a set of springs off eBay from a C120 (at least that's what the seller claims they came off). Paid $22 shipped for the pair.

I will be adding these to the Commando 8 I just recently picked up.

Racinbob

That definitely makes for a better ride and more legroom. I went a step further and used a flip up mount from a later model on my 500 Special. Because the fender flips backwards the seat pan is bolted down. I was a bit concerned that the somewhat worn fender latch wouldn't hold the fender well and I'd get dumped like a load of dirt so I spring loaded it in the latched position. :)

43789755_500Special0710184a.JPG.2afad97cf147207f6b2b64f7d2366c4c.JPG

• Like 3

Cvans
1 hour ago, Racinbob said:

I went a step further and used a flip up mount from a later model on my 500 Special.

Bob that turned out nice. I know what you mean bout the worn latch. I tend to put pressure on the back of the seat as I get on and off. Have had the fender pan flip up on another WH. Gets your attention right how. :bitch:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1