71_Bronco

My New Dash Is Here... Kind Of

71_Bronco

Just got this in the mail from McMaster. Its .080" thick "Easy Form" 220 Bronze.

I'm going to bend it to the same angle as the stock wheel-horse dash for my Commando 8, then scribe the correct holes onto the bronze using the old dash as a template.

I went .080" thick as it would be a little thicker than the stock plate, and I wasn"t sure how strong the bronze would be compared to the stock, steel plate.

For the words, I'm going to stamp the letters one at a time, then fill the recessed letters with black paint.

20190514_182013.jpg

• Like 2

Digger 66
6 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

I'm going to bend it to the same angle as the stock wheel-horse dash for my Commando 8, then scribe the correct holes onto the bronze using the old dash as a template.

Forgive me but why would you bend it first then try to drill / punch scribe everything ?

Wouldn't it be easier to do all that necessary stuff while it's flat ?

Cant wait to see the process & finished plate . :handgestures-salute:

Edited by Digger 66

71_Bronco

I thought it would be easier to locate everything in relation to the bend and to each other. I would be concerned that, if not careful, the bend would y come out down the center and crooked, making it look bad. Just trying to make it fool-proof.

And as to why bronze, I was originally thinking brass, but thought it would be too yellow and look odd. The bronze is a little more subtle than the brass, and was less expensive than copper.

Plus I thought I'd just be different :P

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 71_Bronco said:

Plus I thought I'd just be differen

AWESOME

bellevillerod

I'll be checking back to see how it turns out. I would look up an engraver in your area, like the vanity licence plates guys. They could cut those letters in nice, even and straight. Would not think they would charge that much. Even a trophy shop could do the work for cheap.

• Excellent 1