Exlr82fast

Ark 550 loader on a John Deere LA

Exlr82fast

I bought a 1941 John Deere LA that has a Ark 550 loader that someone has put on it. I was told the loader was off of a WH D250 there is some red paint here and there.  I fell in love with it as soon as I seen it. I've never jumped on the team GREEN band wagon. But here we are.  I hope even though it is not red you guys might still help me out. I'm in the process or rebuilding the cylinders the seals were shot. I have read that it's a good idea to put a filter on the system. So was curious if anyone has done this? Also to trouble shoot I hear of people saying to put a gauge on it and so forth. What sorta pressure or psi will this system produce? Gauges range from 0-100psi 0-300psi ect. So what is appropriate? The pump pulley is slipping but I think I can engineer a better bracket to tighten the belt but I'm a little worried it may be going out but I have my fingers crossed. I may have more questions as I dig into this any help would be great.

20190511_184410.jpg

Edited by Exlr82fast
  • Like 4

WHX??

:WRS: Nice setup :handgestures-thumbupright:

I'm sure the loader/hydraulic experts here will be along to help.

Exlr82fast

Thanks for the welcome! 

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:That,s a neat setup, even if it is green.

John Deere copy rights there manuals, so they are hard to find free online.  They are for sale online, that would be a good place to start if you don't have one.

I'm not familiar with an LA model, but a John Deere B All Fuel Model has 70 PSI and Gas Model has 110 PSI compression.

You might post your question at https://www.yesterdaystractors.com  good friendly, helpful people on that site as well.

Keep us posted :wwp: on what you learn and any repairs you make.

Exlr82fast
17 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

John Deere copy rights there manuals, so they are hard to find free online.  They are for sale online, that would be a good place to start if you don't have one.

I'm not familiar with an LA model, but a John Deere B All Fuel Model has 70 PSI and Gas Model has 110 PSI compression.

You might post your question at https://www.yesterdaystractors.com  good friendly, helpful people on that site as well.

This set up is using the hydro pump that came with the loader I assume. The LA doesn't have any hydraulics of it's own. I wish it did I'm a bit concerned that the WH D250 had 20hp rpm of 3600 is a bit different from the JD LA 14hp 1800rpm. 

Pullstart
34 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

I think he”s talking hydraulic pressure for the pump?

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Where are my manners?  :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs: @Exlr82fast

• Haha 1

pfrederi

How I put one on my D200.  Could have been simpler plumbing but I used what I had lying around.  Filter set up came from Northern Tool

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

• Like 3

Achto

:WRS: Really nice looking LA!! You even have the hard to find lower nose piece on the front.:handgestures-thumbupright: A lot of the lower nose pieces are missing from the LA's. It had to be removed in order to attach some implements and was often times never put on again.

953 nut

:WRS:

I don't have any Green in my barn, but if I did it would be a LA for sure.               :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

roadapples

:text-yeahthat: Nice looking tractor considering the color....:hide:

But it looks a lot harder to work on than a :wh:

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 1

Exlr82fast
On 5/14/2019 at 1:37 PM, Achto said:

:WRS: Really nice looking LA!! You even have the hard to find lower nose piece on the front.:handgestures-thumbupright: A lot of the lower nose pieces are missing from the LA's. It had to be removed in order to attach some implements and was often times never put on again.

I didn't know that....thank you I'm glad it's there. I really dont know much about them bit I fell in love with it when I seen it. 

Exlr82fast

As of now I have the hood off...and i made a new adjustable bracket to tighten the pump. The old one had the bracket welded to the same piece that the pump was mounted. So if I begged down it would flex the unit as a whole and the belt would slip. I think I will have it right now. I'll post pics when I get it all mounted up. Thanks for the replies guys I'm really proud of this machine. 

Achto
46 minutes ago, Exlr82fast said:

I really dont know much about them bit I fell in love with it when I seen it.

They are cool little tractors, even if they are green & yellow :ychain::D. Just wondering if by chance the serial number tag is still there? It was a brass tag that was riveted about center on the rear axle. This were prone to getting knocked off, most times all you will find is the rivet holes.

I will have to see if I can find a picture of my dad's LA to share with you.

The Tuul Crib

That  era of john deeres was dear to to 

to me and always will be. We had the big

ones, three too be exact . I would do the plowing for my dad with one of them. 

We had a three or four bottom plow and l

enjoyed watching that coal black lowa soil 

turn over . Looks great and thanx for 

sharing it with us. 

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

• Heart 1

Exlr82fast
On 5/16/2019 at 12:03 PM, Achto said:

They are cool little tractors, even if they are green & yellow :ychain::D. Just wondering if by chance the serial number tag is still there? It was a brass tag that was riveted about center on the rear axle. This were prone to getting knocked off, most times all you will find is the rivet holes.

I will have to see if I can find a picture of my dad's LA to share with you.

It dose have the tag I cant remember what the numbers are but it is there. I'd like to see it. I live in Broadway Va there are 2 good sized tractor shows here and several parades around. I've only seen one that I know of little rare in these parts.

Edited by Exlr82fast

Exlr82fast

Well I did it! Today I had my parts list gathered everything up in town. Got home this evening rebuilt the cylinders and got my pump bracket mounted up. Fired it up and it works great. Didn't get to start it till dusk so it was to dark for pics bit I'll upload some tomorrow. Thanks guys 

• Like 3

ronhatch

Love pre-1960 Green and Yellow!  I don't care what you guys say, about  JDs, the sound of that 2 cylinder working  hard brings tears to my eyes and that hand clutch!  WELL! what can I say? Both my grandpas and my uncles had  model "A" when I was growing up. Care to guess what I was driving back then?

Exlr82fast

Here's a couple shots of what I did to the pulley. First pic is what it came with. Was a piece of 3/8s all thread going threw a bracket that was welded to the bracket that holds the pump. Under load the whole thing would rock to where it slipped the belt. Second was what I made. I made the assembly so I can take it apart easier and it is attached to the fan pulley bolt. No more slipping that's for sure.20190515_160528.jpg.2e458cab92cd0fb1416dfeee1817d982.jpg20190519_194602.jpg.70dba49eafcfb6ed38dde6d9f0441dc0.jpg

Pullstart
On 5/20/2019 at 1:18 PM, Exlr82fast said:

Here's a couple shots of what I did to the pulley. First pic is what it came with. Was a piece of 3/8s all thread going threw a bracket that was welded to the bracket that holds the pump. Under load the whole thing would rock to where it slipped the belt. Second was what I made. I made the assembly so I can take it apart easier and it is attached to the fan pulley bolt. No more slipping that's for sure.20190515_160528.jpg.2e458cab92cd0fb1416dfeee1817d982.jpg20190519_194602.jpg.70dba49eafcfb6ed38dde6d9f0441dc0.jpg

That looks a little tiny bit more robust!  :handgestures-thumbupright: