Alfienoalkes

Kohler acting strangely

Alfienoalkes

Hello,

After tidying up my C121 and putting back together the Engine doesnt seem right.

The starter turns the engine it fires then immediately spins in reverse for a couple of turns and stops.

After a few attempts it will start  but runs rough.   I am not sure if it something I have done or  a timing issue or whatever ? 

Any ideas gratefully recieved  ? 

Thanks 

Edited by Alfienoalkes

The Tuul Crib

Plug points and condenser to start. When setting up the points make sure piston is top dead center and set points to .20. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Alfienoalkes

Yep the points gap was maybe 3 times too big !   adjusted .20 at TDC seems to have sorted it 

.  Thanks ! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

The Tuul Crib
16 minutes ago, Alfienoalkes said:

Yep the points gap was maybe 3 times too big !   adjusted .20 at TDC seems to have sorted it 

.  Thanks ! 

BTW. 

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

:wwp:

953 nut

:WRS:

Glad you were able to resolve that little problem.       :handgestures-thumbupright:             Tell us a bit more about yourself and your :wh:

Digger 66
3 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

Glad you were able to resolve that little problem.       :handgestures-thumbupright:             Tell us a bit more about yourself and your :wh:

...and we LOVE pictures !

Alfienoalkes

A few years ago When clearing out an old shed for a neighbour  I found a C121 with deck  in a very sorry state, never heard of Wheelhorse before but could tell from the build quality she was a bit special.

So to save from the scrapyard  I took home and after replacing some engine bits and a new battery she roared into life.    

Parts over here in rural Wales (UK) are hard to come by so I have had to keep all the rust eaten body parts and renovate the best I could, and been using ever since.

Last month i noticed she was dripping transmission oil  and getting rusty again so I stripped down back end and rebuilt, gave her new front tyres new seals, sorted out gear stick (with help from this site! ) 

All the painting is by brush so I afraid she looks a bit shabby compared to some of the beauties on here.

so she's a bit rough round the edges but used most days and will probably outlive me ! 

Anyway thanks for the help,    

Alfie 

Edited by Alfienoalkes
  • Excellent 3

lynnmor

The points gap is .020" not the often repeated .20, it's just the tool & die thing in me that can't tolerate this inaccuracy.  :techie-error:

• Like 3

tunahead72

I'm with you on that.  I was a math major in college, and a statistician for (too) many years in an earlier lifetime, and that part of my brain is still very active and notices details like that.

And while we're at it, let's make sure we always get the units correct also, especially for the benefit of our metric friends, like Alfie.

So, .020" it is.

• Haha 1