aSingularity

New to Wheel Horse

aSingularity

Hello Everyone! I'm generally a Ford/Jacobsen guy, but I recently came across a 417a with around a thousand hours thats in pretty nice condition, well taken care of. The machine comes with mower deck and plow. I've done some searching and I've seen a pretty wide price range for these guys so i'm not sure what is good or bad. Asking price is $800. 

I've seen nothing but praise for the 417's around the internet so I plan to go have a look at it this weekend, but I wanted to do my homework first. 

Who knows, maybe this'll be the one to change my blood from blue to red.....

Thanks!

--Brian

• Like 2

Pullstart

Hey Brian, :text-welcomewave: to :rs:!  

I have little experience with the newer models ad none with the Kohler 17 horse, but I’ve read there is a way to determine if they are series 1 or 2.  Series 2 engine have much better oiling systems for running on side hills.  Best of luck with your Wheel Horse journey, and :wwp:

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Hi Brian and welcome to Redsquare!

There's an old saying that is something to the effect of... the right price is the one that makes the seller and the buyer both happy.

All of the machines we have here on my acreage are older ones so I can't really answer to the value of that but it seems pretty fair to me.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

The only problem with the red ones 

is it’s contagious!! But we are here for 

your support!!! 

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

:wwp:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Achto

:WRS: 

pfrederi

417 should be series II  Check the Engine Spec Number.  24300 and higher is Series II

• Like 1

JCM

For $ 800 I would go take a look at it ASAP before it ends up in someone's garage. You PA boy's seem to be saturated with 417-A's,not to many of those in Maine,Mass & NH. If it has been taken care of I have seen them for up to $ 3500. with attachments, not to say the seller got that. I have a 1986 417-8 that has the KT-17 series 2 engine and it is a great tractor,you will not be disappointed. Good luck in your search and WELCOME TO RS.

• Like 2

aSingularity

Good Morning Everyone!  I really appreciate the warm welcome!  I'm going to go look at this particular machine on Saturday, unfortunately that's the earliest that I can get up there. As I said above, I've been a Ford/Jacobsen guy since about 2005. I inherited my grandfathers LGT100 that he bought new in the 70's. I still cut my grass with that guy. Since then i've bought/sold/traded a few, but i've never looked into other makes. I'm really excited to branch out to red. I had a neighbor one time that had an old WheeI Horse, no idea what model but I remember thinking that it seemed like a pretty stellar machine. My wife isn't very excited... I think she just goes along with it so I don't bother her....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Tuul Crib

I know on the wife thing. The other day l

had my tractors out in the driveway and 

when she looked out she said 

“ l didnt know you had four tractors “ !!

• Haha 1

ebinmaine

You boys got to get the women in on the action. Tell her one or two of those belong to her, specifically.

As many of you already know I have a huge advantage in that Trina loves these things just as much as I do.

She has her 2. I have my 2.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

The Tuul Crib

Eric your a lucky man!!  Trina is a special 

one indeed ! Ill keep trying here. If i could 

just get my wife on one .... well ill keep trying!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

aSingularity

I'm with The Tool Crib on that one. I keep trying too.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

aSingularity

Well, based on the advice from all over this forum, I am now a wheel horse owner. The machine is in great shape. Few dents and scrapes on the body, but nothing that concerned me. Starts, runs, and cuts beautifully. 

It is a series 2 engine, verified by serial number. I found 0 evidence of leaks or actual mistreatment. No noise from the rear end at all, and spun on pavement when hooked to my truck. 

I am curious about the amount of travel on the deck (hydraulic). It seems to be about half of what my lgt 145 is, but I reckon I'll learn all that when I get it home and off the trailer. 

The lights are aftermarket too. But I'm not worried about that either. 

1558195077409342079772.jpg

15581951498421694418350.jpg

• Excellent 3

oldredrider

Now that you've got your 1st one, more are sure to follow. Congratulations!

• Like 1

aSingularity

So my initial plan was to buy this guy and run it while i got my ford back up and running good again. After pulling it off the trailer at my mothers (couldn't wait if i'm honest), that plan may change. I'm about to jimmy the blue one back in to service with zip ties and duct tape and play with the red one....  The hand drive lever is going to take some getting used to, but i can't believe how much easier it is to change implements....

Quick question, any one have any idea what this link in the back may be for? Right under the seat pan. IMG_20190518_161802935.jpg.4d33ec7debe0ff44470f8214c6c3f0ed.jpg

• Excellent 2

posifour11

It's used for ground engaging implements like turning plow, tiller, rear blade. Pretty much anything that needs to be lifted. 

midpack

I love my 417-8. You might be able to install a foot a control on that machine, depending on the transmission. There's a guy on this site that sells them (Matt)

I didn't like the hand speed lever and when I saw the 8spd was electric lift, there was NO way i was leaving without it!

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Nice machine!

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, aSingularity said:

that plan may change. I'm about to jimmy the blue one back in to service with zip ties and duct tape and play with the red one

These horses are great machines and easy to work on.

I see above you've been notified that we all seem to end up with a herd of horses.

They seem to attract each other.

Nobody knows why and we don't question it.

Glad to see you found a good one.

Welcome to the addiction.....