Felix

Towing weight

Felix

I’m new to the world of wheel horses and jus wondering what sort of weight a b80 4 speed will pull. I’ve bought a small tipping trailer to move sand and buildings materials round the back of the house. It will also be pulling up hill. (Not too steep). 

rjg854

You'd be surprised by what an 8hp tractor will pull.  The biggest concern is traction, as long as you can maintain that, that tractor will pull many times it own weight.  People move boats, and other things, so I would say you shouldn't have much of a problem depending on the load.

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

I move a 1500 lb boat with mine. But flat and paved and slow. Hills you should be careful...will lose traction...Tongue weight is issue to...front end may come up...

I would add a 2” receiver if towing all the time. Way stronger than stock tow hitch.

:twocents-02cents:

Felix

This is what I’ve bought. I hope it can pull it😬

9B09FCC5-A63B-4B6A-A20B-24C08F6ACA90.png

gwest_ca

Before you take off remember they will pull about 4 or 5 times more than they will stop.

Garry

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Sparky

Don’t forget to make sure the brakes are in tip-top shape and correctly adjusted. That uphill slope becomes a downslope on your way back. With only rear brakes it can get scary if the load takes over!

• Like 2

Felix
1 minute ago, gwest_ca said:

Before you take off remember they will pull about 4 or 5 times more than they will stop.

Garry

I’ll be coming back down hill empty. But glad you mentioned it. I’ll bare that in mind. Do you get any engine brake effect with them being belt drive?

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Felix said:

I’ll be coming back down hill empty. But glad you mentioned it. I’ll bare that in mind. Do you get any engine brake effect with them being belt drive?

Felix, as mentioned above the STOPPING is what you need to be concerned with. Not the going.

We live in mountainous country and I have moved over a thousand pounds many times with my own b80.

You load that particular trailer up with stone or sand and you'll be a thousand pounds or so.

Just take it very easy and be careful and remember to load that trailer heavy to the front.

gwest_ca

There is transmission braking but I hold the shifter in gear because if it comes out it is too late.

I have often thought of adding electric brakes to a trailer.

Garry

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

I would also would think about adding 

some kind of counter weight to the front 

to keep the front end on the ground.

• Like 1

Felix

Thanks for all the advice. I’ll start of with a few small loads and see how it handles it. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
56 minutes ago, Felix said:

Thanks for all the advice. I’ll start of with a few small loads and see how it handles it. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

:wwp:

Felix
19 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

:wwp:

There will be pictures 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

cafoose

20170326_125144.thumb.jpg.8e8d106c40337c42fafb9cf53f95fe52.jpg20170402_152238.thumb.jpg.7bdc052471e1195c9685bf99b9e35a5a.jpg

• Like 1

Lee1977

That is a trailer raited for 500#. I don't think you could have any problem with that weight. 

WHGuy413

Like stated above stopping is the biggest concern. I hit a patch of ice under some snow with my 12 auto towing a full load of fire wood down the hill and the trailer ended up in front and I was looking the other way. That was interesting to say the least.

• Like 1

Hacksawhero123

Just don’t get too brave with it. This was a bit ambitious 😂.

Mark

378DF86C-8854-4C93-BDC1-DBC4BA45F4FA.jpeg

Edited by Hacksawhero123
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, WHGuy413 said:

That was interesting to say the least

That's what we're goin with??

Wow!!!

:scared-eek: