1990Onan520-H

Steering gears skipping teeth on 520-H

1990Onan520-H

As the title states my 88 520-H keeps slipping teeth on the gears when I turn right. I see lots of threads about loose steering but it's all about the gear reduction steering. Has anyone had an issue with the non gear reduction steering? Is it possible to get the fan gear closer to the steering shaft? I pulled the steering block out and didn't see any shims to remove. I was thinking of trying to find a way to shim the whole shaft backwards to get the fan gear closer but I'm not sure it's possible and im getting tired of pulling things apart for no reason.

daveoman1966

Pull cotter pin 5-17 and stack in more shims 5-15 to, in effect, pull the fan gear back into the steer column gear.

fan gear.gif

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

1990Onan520-H
4 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

Pull cotter pin 5-17 and stack in more shims 5-15 to, in effect, pull the fan gear back into the steer column gear.

fan gear.gif

I already looked at this and the cotter pin is already very tight. I don't think I can get any shims in there. I'll have to check again and wiggle the steering, maybe it needed to settle in.

squonk

Look at part # 5-18 in Dave's pic. It may be broken on the frame mounts. Also if the hole for the upper steering gear in the same piece is worn egg-shaped it will cause skipping too

• Like 1

JAinVA

Pull up on the steering wheel.If you have any serious verticle movement then you may have to adjust 5-25 or the upper dash mount where 5-23 is located could be damaged.

• Like 1

1990Onan520-H
3 hours ago, squonk said:

Look at part # 5-18 in Dave's pic. It may be broken on the frame mounts. Also if the hole for the upper steering gear in the same piece is worn egg-shaped it will cause skipping too

I took 5-18 off. Looks fine. The upper Steering is worn. Wheel is fairly loose. I discounted it because it didn't seem to move the lower gear much, but maybe I have to revisit.

1990Onan520-H
2 hours ago, JAinVA said:

Pull up on the steering wheel.If you have any serious verticle movement then you may have to adjust 5-25 or the upper dash mount where 5-23 is located could be damaged.

There is some vertical movement I noticed. Not much but some. It does skip when the shaft starts to lift. I didn't know those collars were adjuastible. I'll take a look thanks.

JAinVA

Some of the shafts have a collar with a set screw as shown and some are located with a snap ring below the collar.Check the dash tower for bends or cracks.People pulling on the steering when they mount can distort the thin metal of the dash tower.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977
15 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Some of the shafts have a collar with a set screw as shown and some are located with a snap ring below the collar.Check the dash tower for bends or cracks.People pulling on the steering when they mount can distort the thin metal of the dash tower.

The fix is to mount another flange bearing # 5-11 ( as shown in the drawing )  in the dash tower. The 300, 400 and 500 series was a poor design in the dish tower. I've fix my 312-8 

SAM-0972.jpg

• Excellent 1

JAinVA

I did exactly the same thing on my 312a custom.Like a lot of things,I got the idea from one of the helpful folks here.I wish I could remember who, but thanks, and this trick works well.

1990Onan520-H

Does anyone know if there is a way to shim 5-11 to push the fan gear closer to the smaller one? Im Assuming I could just build a spacer but I really don't want to pull anything apart just to find out I can't do that. Hoping someone knows or has done it before.

I did a lot of what was already suggested and that seems to have helped... at least for now. The gears no longer skip but it's still very loose. Haven't gotten any hours on it yet though so who knows if it will go right back to where it was once I start using it. It has a 2 stage snow blower so there's a lot of stress on the steering.

Edited by 1990Onan520-H

Lee1977
On 5/21/2019 at 10:10 PM, 1990Onan520-H said:

Does anyone know if there is a way to shim 5-11 to push the fan gear closer to the smaller one? Im Assuming I could just build a spacer but I really don't want to pull anything apart just to find out I can't do that. Hoping someone knows or has done it before.

I did a lot of what was already suggested and that seems to have helped... at least for now. The gears no longer skip but it's still very loose. Haven't gotten any hours on it yet though so who knows if it will go right back to where it was once I start using it. It has a 2 stage snow blower so there's a lot of stress on the steering.

The shims to move the fan gear closer to the steering gear go behind the 5-18 steering bracket.

1990Onan520-H
21 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

The shims to move the fan gear closer to the steering gear go behind the 5-18 steering bracket.

I can't fit any, otherwise the cotter pin won't fit. Are the bolt holes in that piece elongated so that it can slide? I didn't have much luck moving that piece when I loosened it up.

Lee1977

No it isn 't adjustable. Did you get the steering shaft tight where it doesn't lift by adjusting the coller (5-25)?

Edited by Lee1977

1990Onan520-H
On 5/24/2019 at 3:55 PM, Lee1977 said:

No it isn 't adjustable. Did you get the steering shaft tight where it doesn't lift by adjusting the coller (5-25)?

Yes I did and I fixed the slightly elongated sheet metal hole. The steering is still extremely loose though and the teeth don't mesh well from what I can see.

Lee1977

If the fit between the fan gears shaft and sreering shaft with part 5-18 isn't real loose my guess is thar it was used a long time out of adjustment and the gears are worn. There is a bushing (5-22) on part 5-18 that can be replaced for the fan gear. The 300 and 400 series used the same parts as the early 520 -H.  If you need to find good replacement parts.

h

1990Onan520-H
8 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

If the fit between the fan gears shaft and sreering shaft with part 5-18 isn't real loose my guess is thar it was used a long time out of adjustment and the gears are worn. There is a bushing (5-22) on part 5-18 that can be replaced for the fan gear. The 300 and 400 series used the same parts as the early 520 -H.  If you need to find good replacement parts.

h

Honestly nothing seems all that worn. If i could push the fan gear closer to the smaller gear I think everything would tighten up and mesh nicely.

Lee1977

What type tie rods are on your 520. I bought a 1989 520 -H back a few months ago It had the old style nonadjustable tie rods and the tires were toed out of adjustment because the tie rods were too short. If your is the same disconnect the tie rod and see if the fan gear will move back closer. I made new tie rods with Himes Joints for my 520. 

squonk

I 'm betting that hole for the steering shaft is worn oblong in the support even though you said it looks ok

MalMac

Your problem started in the fact that there is a two stage blower used on that tractor. The excess weight of that thing has caused the steering to wear and the whole dash tower to flex. That's why they went with the steering reduction system. The 2 stage and 60" deck Made the tractor steer like a log wagon and caused extreme wear and stress from the steering wheel on down. The only way you are going to fix this is replace  your steering shafts and support block. Also check dash tower for stress cracks that's caused from flexing. Now if you keep using the big blower all your repairs will be done in vain, as will occur again. Best fix is to retro fit with the steering reduction system an to put a flange bearing in the dash tower for the upper steering shaft as suggested.

• Thanks 1

1990Onan520-H
22 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

What type tie rods are on your 520. I bought a 1989 520 -H back a few months ago It had the old style nonadjustable tie rods and the tires were toed out of adjustment because the tie rods were too short. If your is the same disconnect the tie rod and see if the fan gear will move back closer. I made new tie rods with Himes Joints for my 520. 

Mine are adjustable. They look to have been replaced at some point.

1990Onan520-H
16 hours ago, squonk said:

I 'm betting that hole for the steering shaft is worn oblong in the support even though you said it looks ok

You mean the one in the upper dash? Its not ok. It's worn. I fabricated a sheet metal sleeve and tightened it back up. That along with fixing the vertical movement has stopped the teeth from skipping. However it's still very loose and since i use it as a snow blower machine and it's an 88 (non gear reduction) there is a ton of pressure on the steering.

Lee1977
6 minutes ago, 1990Onan520-H said:

You mean the one in the upper dash? Its not ok. It's worn. I fabricated a sheet metal sleeve and tightened it back up. That along with fixing the vertical movement has stopped the teeth from skipping. However it's still very loose and since i use it as a snow blower machine and it's an 88 (non gear reduction) there is a ton of pressure on the steering.

No  The hole in the top of 5-18 .

• Like 1

1990Onan520-H
10 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

No  The hole in the top of 5-18 .

Ah. Well I suppose it's possible. It seemed ok but I would think with 1000 hours it probably has some wear even if it was maintained.

squonk

I've seen those supports look ok but put it next to a new one and you can see the wear