RENE

Engine dies when engaging the PTO

RENE

I have a 1993 Wheel Horse tractor Model 73401. I started my tractor after being put away for the winter. I lowered the mower deck and engaged the PTO lever and it ran fine. I mowed for about 100' and it ran fine. I had to stop so I disengaged the PTO, left the engine running and got off the tractor for about 1 minute. At the same time while off,  I lifted the seat to see how much gas was left in the tank. I got back on and engaged the PTO and the engine died. The only way I could keep it running and still use the mower deck was to push the lever about halfway, enough to get the blades turning and I mowed my lawn that way. An ideas? I also unplugged the wires for the seat safety switch and that didn't help. It's acting like it has something to do with the seat switch. Normally, if I got off the tractor while the PTO was still engaged, the engine would die as a safety thing. This is acting like that. Does the seat switch make or break the circuit when I sit on it? 

RENE

I just figuired it out. I thought it had something to do with the seat switch. Originally I just unplugged the switch thinking that the switch opened a circuit when you sat on the seat but it does just the opposite, It closes a circuit. What I did was unplugged the switch again but this time, I installed a jumper wire inside the plugged and then the tractor ran fine. So the seat switch is stuck in the open position not making continuaty.  (spelling)  I need to now see if that can be removed and repaired or maybe just need to clean the contact;s inside the switch. 

• Like 2

gwest_ca

In case you need it

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

Is your the switch that is inside the seat or the one that is on the fender pan? I think new ones of both types can be bought at Parts Tree.

gwest_ca

Click on the picture to get to the test procedure

Garry