JCM

Farmall Super A / Valspar Paint

JCM

Back when Valspar paint was readily available I purchased enough to finish the Super A, I now have 10 cans of the Restoration Series #3344 in IH red and only 2 cans of the #3355 gray primer, my question is what brand of Primer would be compatible with the Valspar paint.This Tractor is a worker and not a show tractor but I would like to have the Red bond with the primer, should I use primer that I have on hand on a test piece of metal and see what happens? Also how long would a bad reaction take to appear if the two are not compatible, will wait to hear from the paint experts.      Thanks

Sarge

All you should have to do is find a primer that is compatible with an aklyd enamel - best to get that answer from an auto parts store or auto body supply that deals with paint on a daily basis. Some of the other regular paint stores can help, but may not be familiar with the older Valspar. I wish I had bought 10 gallons of that stuff back before they killed it off, along with their hardener and stored them with argon gas capping as I do with other expensive paints/coatings. I had previously used the Western Auto high solids filler primer through Car Quest - great stuff but now it is gone as well. You could choose to use the epoxy primer, but be prepared for some sticker shock.

Sarge

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Dan @Achto is a paint pro maybe he can offer advice.:)

• Thanks 1

squonk

I painted a 704 with the Restoration Series paint. I used Wal-Mart Rustoleum  Self Etching primer

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

T-Mo

As the saying goes, this thread is worthless without pictures.  I, for one, would love to see your Super A.  If I didn't have a couple of Cubs, I would love to have a Super A.

• Like 2

wfrpalm

Pics, please.

• Like 1

JCM

Thanks guy's for your help and comments so far ,I have owned the Super A for 31 years,too many project's like the rest of you, great tractor, hope to have it ready for the Meet & Greet on September 7 so we can take some rides on it.

Achto

Almost any primer should work, if you let it dry and then scuff it before you paint. I use an enamel primer on all of the smalls and ruff parts. I like to use urethane primer on the sheet metal and then wet sand it before painting. Urethane primer does not shrink so you can use it to remove small imperfections and not worry about them showing up again later.

• Like 1