wallfish

Why won't this one drive?

wallfish

My Dad called me today on a WH he was work'n on. Recent purchase of a non runner so he pushed it in his garage and got the engine going. Said he took it down off his lift to try it out and made it down to the bottom of the driveway hill and it stopped going.

I told him to check the keys for the input pulley and the rear axle hubs.

Here's what he found! That's gotta be the worst hub axle key way ever.

IMG_0418.jpeg.a4e5dc6f90ed642d6e2f43083276ffca.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 6

ZXT

Jeez! I just got done looking at the keyways in my C120 and was discouraged at the amount of slop in them! That's probably a bit more than you can weld up..

daveoman1966

What tractor is that...  I MAY have a replacement axle and hub for you....  Diameter of axle?  1" or 1 1/8" ??

Retired Wrencher

Holy crap John I am surprised your dad made it that far. Looks like a good project. Hope to see you at Zag`s.

Sparky

Wow! How could someone let it get that bad :angry-banghead:

peter lena

exactly , how could you be a owner and ignore such a problem for so long ?  pete 

stevebo

I was working on my buddy's 414-8 checking it over to do a local pull and while changing the rear tires from turfs to ags I checked the hubs to ensure they were tight. Well wouldn't you know it the hub was holding the axle together. Split in the middle just like that John. 

• Like 1

wallfish

Just now, stevebo said:

I was working on my buddy's 414-8 checking it over to do a local pull and while changing the rear tires from turfs to ags I checked the hubs to ensure they were tight. Well wouldn't you know it the hub was holding the axle together. Split in the middle just like that John. 

Dad said the other side is split too

My guess is, the kid was out there gear jam'n from reverse to forward doing wheelies with it

• Sad 1

953 nut
4 minutes ago, wallfish said:

the other side is split too

:eusa-think:        On the bright side,     The hubs will be easy to remove!                     :hide:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

wallfish

He has a spare 8 speed in stock to swap in.

I might ask for it and just weld the hubs to the axles since I'd just use it for a custom but not a working tractor. All of those parts are already ruined so what's the difference now. The axles can always be cut off if anyone in the future wants to fix it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, wallfish said:

He has a spare 8 speed in stock to swap in.

I might ask for it and just weld the hubs to the axles since I'd just use it for a custom but not a working tractor. All of those parts are already ruined so what's the difference now. The axles can always be cut off if anyone in the future wants to fix it.

I'd normally not ever think about doing something like that but in this case that might not be a bad idea

• Like 1