Sign in to follow this  
JHawk

414-8 with k321S doesnt go bang

JHawk

Hey fellas, struggling on this one all week.  K321S turns over but doesn't start up.  I'm not great with electrical--just enough to get me in trouble.  New solenoid that I've tested with multimeter. New key ignition.  I have steady power on both sides of the coil (according to multimeter) and even steady power coming out of coil to spark plug wire.  That doesn't make sense to me--I thought power to the spark plug was supposed to be intermittent.  However, my light tester that I plug between the spark plug and my spark plug wire doesn't show any power (this tester may be malfunctioning).    I did test the coil previously with a multimeter and according to the videos I watched the coil should be fine.  Is this most likely the condenser or breaker?  Any thoughts on how to test that, or what else might be going on.  It was running last week.  I stopped it to move some logs and when I went back to start it again it did this.  Just a note of something I learned the hard way for anyone else who might be struggling on a similar issue--the 414-8 with the k321s (I think the 1986 model) does NOT use the same ignition key as the 414-8 with the Kohler Magnum 14 (1987 and newer).  Thanks

gwest_ca

What the points are supposed to do is ground the coil (-) every time they close. When that happens the coil should fire the plug. Being grounded there is no power in that wire.

If you have steady power at the coil (-) while it turns over the points are not making electrical contact. Either they are not closing, they are dirty and not making electrical contact when they are closed or the wire from the coil (-) to the points is broken.

When the points are open the 12 volts at the coil (-) is waiting for the points to close.

Try rubbing the point contacts with a nail file or a point file if you have one. Then draw a clean strip of white paper through the contacts to clean any residue.

Garry

• Like 2

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:

One thing use a metal nail file not an emery board type.  They can leave gritt on the points.

JHawk

Thanks guys.  finally got it started tonight.  Seems like you hit the nail on the head.  Thankfully, I have some of my great uncle's watch making files on hand that worked like a charm.  That's a huge load off--was on the verge of dropping 3k on a new ztr because I don't have time to mess with this right now.  So thanks again