HorseFixer

Dukes 1956 RJ-35 Restoration

Suburban 550

Remember Duke you're the only one it has to satisfy. Looks good so far. :drool: That's a bigger clothes line than I ever had to hang all my parts. :omg: Good luck with the paint. :drool:

HorseFixer

Thanks Ray! :drool: Well tonight it was layin the Red Paint! Will let the parts dry over night in Brians Shop. Will Load up the Horse Hauler And Bring Them home tomarrow night prolly on a blanket. Will get the Hood finished and that will be painted this weekend. Will let everything dry for a few days and will start assembly next week. :drool: Here are some pics of the Base Coat Clear Coat useing PPG paint. The Rims show up gray in some areas :( but there not :omg: funny camera flash I guess. Anyways It's 1:00 a.m. and in 5 hours I gotta get up and go to work! Im off to bed.

56RJRESTO257.jpg

56RJRESTO264.jpg

56RJRESTO266.jpg

56RJRESTO269.jpg

56RJRESTO272.jpg

56RJRESTO273.jpg

56RJRESTO300.jpg

56RJRESTO301.jpg

Suburban 550

Lookin' good, my friend. :omg: Now the fun part, tryin' not to scratch anything puttin' it together. After seeing that paint job, ya really didn't need my help after all. Looks great. :drool:

KyBlue

That looks really good Duke!

What was the problem with the high build primer??

Eriks Red horse herd

"Blinded by the light, Dressed up like a Wheel horse and spray painting at mid night"

Looking sweet Duke!

Brian1045

:drool: :omg::drool:

You are making me want to start on another resto...as much as I hated and loved the last one.

Nice results Sir!

HorseFixer

Thanks Ray, Scotty Erik, & Brian :omg: Scotty I started useing Evercoat High Build Primer I didnt like the way the stuff was layin down, looked like it had orange peel to me So switched to white Epoxy Primer it layed down Pretty good.

Got my parts home tonight gonna hafta do a lil touch up on some, I have a couple badger air Brushes I wonder if that would work for touching up parts? :drool:

56RJRESTO308.jpg

56RJRESTO310.jpg

56RJRESTO309.jpg

56RJRESTO312.jpg

56RJRESTO313.jpg

Butch

Is there more than 24 hours in a day in Michigan? :omg: Duke I don't know how you do it. I need a rest just looking at all your work!

What's gonna happen to the paint on the engine when you fire it up? :drool:

HorseFixer

Is there more than 24 hours in a day in Michigan? :omg: Duke I don't know how you do it. I need a rest just looking at all your work!

What's gonna happen to the paint on the engine when you fire it up? :drool:

Butch, I have talked to the paint stores on this subject of heat paint -vs- auomotive paint with hardner. They tell me the main thing is to put etch primer on the bare block first then use a good quality automotive paint with hardner. I expect that the paint will dull around the exhaust but so will anything else. I guess I will see :drool:

KyBlue

Duke - base clear holds up just fine... We did the engine out of My 75 250 in base/clear ...

732006.jpg

732003.jpg

743588.jpg

I wish the headers still looked that good, but the block looks as good now, as it did then.

That high build primer...is thick..or at least ours is.. we usually have a dedicated primer gun, with a huge azz tip in it...plus thinning the high build just a bit will get it to lay down...long as you got it done it'll be all good!@

gwgdog66

Thanks Ray, Scotty Erik, & Brian :omg: Scotty I started useing Evercoat High Build Primer I didnt like the way the stuff was layin down, looked like it had orange peel to me So switched to white Epoxy Primer it layed down Pretty good.

Got my parts home tonight gonna hafta do a lil touch up on some, I have a couple badger air Brushes I wonder if that would work for touching up parts? :drool:

What color / brand red paint are you using? :drool:

Brian1045

Man that is a sweet looking bunch of parts you have there!

Gorgeous job my friend! :omg:

HorseFixer

Thanks guy's! :omg: Scotty hope the paint dont fall off! :drool:

gwgdog66 ~The Base Is PPG Shop Line International Harvester Red IH-2150 71310

With PPG J R5061 Medium Reducer

The Topcoat PPG JC6611 HI Gloss Multi Panel Clear With

PPG JH66804 Medium Topcoat Hardner

KyBlue

Any new progress Mr Duke??

HorseFixer

Any new progress Mr Duke??

Yeah Scotty the past couple nights been sanding filling, then sanding again and again and again on the hood. :drool: not much to show there till it is painted over the weekend. Need to do some sanding on the inner side of the rear rims got a couple runs in the clear so will need to hit them again on the backside. Also the frame needs some more clear on the top of C-Channel looks a Lil Dry. :omg: Might as well shoot that again when I clear the hood!

HorseFixer

Well as most of you know the paint did not stick to the primer correctly from the paint job pictures dated April 28th and about $ 250.00 worth of paint went right down the chitter! <_< This caused me to needlessly work my azz off and I got little sleep a few weeks ago. All parts had to be re-sandblasted an completely repainted. There is no doubt this had a big hand in putting me over the edge. I have been taking it easy getting plenty of rest and getting the tractor put back together a little at a time which is good therapy for me. MJ has been giving me a hand, and helped me mount the tires on the rims. :omg:

Well Anyways here are some pics of my dull faded tractor thats starting to be reassembled! :drool: I'm using all Stainless Steel Hardware for reassembly the Wheel studs will be red tho.

56RJRESTO324.jpg

56RJRESTO325.jpg

56RJRESTO326.jpg

56RJRESTO327.jpg

56RJRESTO328.jpg

56RJRESTO329.jpg

56RJRESTO330.jpg

56RJRESTO331.jpg

56RJRESTO333.jpg

TJ

Looking good. :omg:

HorseFixer

Linen Beige a couple weeks ago mentioned useing an airbrush to paint a tractor. Well I broke out my Badger Airbrush and boy it works great on small parts with almost zero overspray and does a great job on control and putting the paint where you need it! :omg: I will have to try it on larger parts sometime!

56RJRESTO337.jpg

56RJRESTO339.jpg

56RJRESTO343.jpg

56RJRESTO344.jpg

56RJRESTO345.jpg

TJ

Still looking good. :omg:

bell

Looks GREAT Duke! :omg:

jusjeepn

Duke, I understand the therapy, but it looks like your already settling back into old habits! SLOW DOWN!!! It's looking great but not worth the health risk! If you don't get it done for the show, it's no big deal, just so you make it to the show!

d180man

Hi very very nice job love your work! :drool: :omg:

KyBlue

Great job Duke!!! Cant wait to see it in person...

EDIT: I will add Duke, that you NEED to be wearing a respirator.... If you can SMELL the paint...its going to do you no good, and with a recent Stayin the hospital....

linen beige

you NEED to be wearing a respirator.... If you can SMELL the paint...its going to do you no good, and with a recent Stayin the hospital....

Scott's absolutely right Duke. Wear a respirator!

Now about how the airbrush worked out.

I TOLD YOU SO! :omg:

Suburban 550

Nice Job, my friend. :drool: Jim, we always thought the airbrush idea would work and Duke proved it. :omg: Duke, can't wait to see it at the show.