upstate yank

electric clutch

upstate yank

well guys i need some information as i bought a older tractor yesterday which has the electric clutch ;the clutch was installed to day but i have heard so much about the air cap ;what does that mean  ;i have not yet wired it up as i will tomorrow 'yes it a so called name 1973 with the 16 horse kohler  and it is the automatic ; it runs strong and boy is it fast but again i am not sure about the air cap how you adjust it ' 

953 nut

I think you are referring to the "Air Gap" which is covered in the thread Paul started a couple years back.

pfrederi

Try it if it works do not worry about the air gap.  I haven't found any that where way out of spec. You adjust it by bending the three springy tabs.

• Thanks 1

upstate yank
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I think you are referring to the "Air Gap" which is covered in the thread Paul started a couple years back.

thanks for the reply back and i will check it out as this type of a set up is all new to me but if things don't go right i can switch to the Manuel set up that i have 

squonk

The air gap between both clutch surfaces is more for clutch durability than anything. Too close a gap and dirt/grit gets in there and will wear on the surfaces when clutch is off. Too wide and the clutch engaged a little rougher/ violently. Way too wide and it may not engage fully and slip. GM in the 90's had lots of A.C. clutch failures. They would overheat, burn off the clutch facing and wear through the rivets. Car would sound like it was dragging chains down the road. I forget the spec on the gap.but if it's close it shouldn't cause an issue.