Herder

1987 414-8 Rectifier

Herder

I have the wiring diagram for the 414 that I have and it's helpful. I cant say enough about how great it is to access to all the manuals here and everyone's expertise. I have been trying to make heads or tails out of what is left of the wiring and all the safety switches, it's a mess. I am considering simplifying and rewiring it without all the switches and the fifty some wires or so that lead into and out of the circuit board.  So all that being said I have become stumped with the rectifier(?) I don't see it on the wiring diagram and I cant figure out where it is. Is it in combination with the magneto?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.     

pfrederi

Top front of the air shroud Three wire plug on it.

IMG_0065.JPG

Herder
10 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Top front of the air shroud Three wire plug on it.

IMG_0065.JPG

Thank you, I have see them before but not in this particular case.  That's what's got me confused.  Here's what I have see what you think.  

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

pfrederi

You may have an unregulated 3 amp charging system  Wheel horse went cheap for awhile.  Quick way to figure out if that is what you have...Do your head lights work when the engine is not running.  if they do not work you have the 3 amp system...There is no regulator just a diode in the wire from the stator to the ignition switch

Edited by pfrederi

Herder
58 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

You may have an unregulated 3 amp charging system  Wheel horse went cheap for awhile.  Quick way to figure out if that is what you have...Do your head lights work when the engine is not running.  if they do not work you have the 3 amp system...There is no regulator just a diode in the wire from the stator to the ignition switch

That sounds quite possible.  Nothing is working at this point, when I got the tractor everything was jumped out and there was a push button tied into the broken key switch.  I did have it running at one point but never tried the headlights.:wacko:  Stinks! It's a great running engine. 

gwest_ca

The 1987 414-8 does have a 3 amp charging system and the wiring diagram in this file shows it correctly. Click on the fuzzy picture.

The 523 page Demystification Guide is wrong. It shows a 15 amp regulated charging system but the rest of the wiring should be the same except for the lights. Click on the picture.

Garry

• Thanks 1

Herder
2 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

The 1987 414-8 does have a 3 amp charging system and the wiring diagram in this file shows it correctly. Click on the fuzzy picture.

The 523 page Demystification Guide is wrong. It shows a 15 amp regulated charging system but the rest of the wiring should be the same except for the lights. Click on the picture.

Garry

Good morning Garry, thank you.   What I am trying to figure out is how to bypass the mess, I am guessing in order to do so I would need to run a lead wire form the rectifier prong on the key switch to one of the wires leading into the stator.(?)  The wires to the left (W,B,Y) lead into the stator and the two to the right (W,W) go the low oil indicator.  Do you have a wiring diagram for the stator?  I appreciate your help.

Adam. 

IMG_1335.JPG

gwest_ca

Will guess the black wire is the ground wire to kill the ignition and shut engine off. Do not allow and battery voltage into this wire. It will release the magic smoke in the ignition coil.

Will guess the white or yellow wire goes to a green wire that feeds the light circuit.

The other white or yellow goes to the ignition switch to charge the battery. This one will have a diode on the engine side of the plastic connector. You should be able to feel the diode in the loom covering the wire. They are about 3/16" in diameter and 3/8" long. You don't need the charging wire to run the tractor. Once the engine starts nothing else uses battery power.

Not knowing what stage you are at you can disconnect that 5-wire plug above until you get it running. Make sure the oil level is up. The only other thing disconnection affects is the key will not shut the engine off. You can choke it to stop the engine or put the plug back together to shut off. With the plug disconnected that bypasses the ignition safety switches. Then work on them one at a time to isolate any problems.

The idiot light panel can be unplugged and have no affect on the rest of the wiring.

Does the key activate the starter? Pto must be OFF and clutch pedal down to close the neutral switch. Then the starter should work.

Garry