WHwest8597

314-8 fuse keeps blowing

WHwest8597

My 314-8 blows a fuse ever time I hit the key.  It will start if I jump across the two bolt on the solenoid.  How do I check for bad solenoid?  Should I check ground first?

Achto

Check all of your + wires in the starting circuit for continuity to ground before suspecting the solenoid. The wires will have to be disconnected from their terminals before testing. Non of them should have continuity to ground. If they do, then the wire needs to be repaired or replaced. There may be some - wires hooked to the relay & solenoid these will have continuity to ground. If all of the wires check out then I would suspect a solenoid or relay.

Aldon

If the key switch is original, I think there is a greater chance it failed than the solenoid. IMO. Or a relay /safety switch as Achto suggests

Edited by Aldon

fast88pu

Check the wires behind the dash. I've seen them wear through and short out. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Aldon

@fast88pu is like a whiz kid on these 300 series tractors. I’d check behind dash first...

953 nut

If you put a 12 Volt test light in place of the fuse it will light up when there is a high current draw that would blow the fuse. Turn the key and inspect the wires while moving them individually, When you find the shorted wire and it is no longer grounded the light will go out.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2