WH656

Gear oil of 3 speed 656? Cant seem to find it in search :/

WH656

Hi folks, does anyone know what gear oil to put in these axles or how much?  I figure up until it starts to come out  of the side hole?  Not sure how to drain it tho.... mine  is BROWN in color.  :o

ebinmaine

If your horse still has the original 3/4 speed manual it will use a 90 weight gear oil.

The drain plug is at the back on the bottom. Should take a 1/4 Allen wrench.

Try to raise the front of the tractor as much as you safely can . There's a hump on the inside of the transmission that the oil needs to go over.

Let it sit for a day to drain.

If you drive it you can put 2 quarts of diesel or kerosene in it, drive in figure 8 in every gear. That will flush it out some.

Then drain and refill with oil of choice.

It's a great idea to get a shifter boot for it. Yours is likely in bad shape or even gone.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

If your horse still has the original 3/4 speed manual it will use a 90 weight gear oil.

Try to raise the front of the tractor as much as you safely can . There's a hump on the inside of the transmission that the oil needs to go over.

If you drive it you can put 2 quarts of diesel or kerosene in it, drive in figure 8 in every gear. That will flush it out some.

It's a great idea to get a shifter boot for it. Yours is likely in bad shape or even gone.

:text-yeahthat:

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

:wwp:

gwest_ca

Look up the manuals for your tractor model. Click on the picture

On the next page click on the pictures again. Two of them are from the Lubrication chart for this model.

Garry

• Thanks 1

WH656
19 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Thanks much!  I looked at the manual couldnt quite tell so I will go with the 2 quarts.  I thought the rule used to be that you could fill till it comes out of the TOP drain plug as well.

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, WH656 said:

Thanks much!  I looked at the manual couldnt quite tell so I will go with the 2 quarts.  I thought the rule used to be that you could fill till it comes out of the TOP drain plug as well.

I'm thinking most of the manual transmissions took 1.5 except the 6 speed back then. That was 2.

Your fine with 2.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Pullstart

Yeah, you won’t feel the extra oil scavenge any power :handgestures-thumbupright:  :text-welcomewave: to :rs:

WH656

Mine filled up @ 1 quart.

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, WH656 said:

Mine filled up @ 1 quart.

It takes 1.5.

You may have had some left in the front of the transmission.