Sign in to follow this  
stumpkicker

D-160 Limited slip rearend question ???

stumpkicker

I have a D-160 try to use in the garden but it is a pain! Seems the limited slip rear end causes a one wheel spin ! Is there a way to lock this into POSI with out welding spider-gears (and I dont even know if it has spider gears yet !

Don't under stand the limited slip reason on the tractor to begin with. I guess Wheel horse had a reason!

Just looking for a way to lock it !

Thanks Jimmy G :omg:

Docwheelhorse

Limited slip and Posi are exactly the same thing. It depends what CAR sompany your referencing--GM called there "limited slip" differential posi-traction. Chrysler simply called it "sure grip" and I forget what Ford called it. Your D160 DOESN'T have it..... whoever told you was mistaken. Welding the differential together would be good for very limited use in tractor pulls etc... but would only result in broken parts during normal everyday use. Go get a set of chains and weights or ag-tires and weights or just try adding weight to what you have and see how it goes.

Tony

Rollerman

Welding the diff up on a D series would be especially bad IMOP.

The diffs are kind of the weak link in the D's....welding one up would really put increased stress on one.

The D's are pretty nose heavy...best bet for tration is like Tony mentioned.

Add weight & tire chains to the back tires.

Coadster32

I had a really short wheelbase on a craftsman tractor :drool: that had a chain drive to a solid rear axle. You couldn't turn it for beans. You need limited slip for this reason, if nothing else. Imagina a D-series that doesn't turn? Not like you're gonna get off and pull it to one side. :omg:

Bill

My D-250 has a lever to lock up the rear end if I want, and with it locked it takes a football field to turn it around, Myself I only use it when I'm pulling the back grader blade on a nice straight run.

refracman

Stephens right welding a D diff would be a asking for trouble. A easier way would be to find the spring that was put into the GT14 diff that helped with this problem. I think some of the same era tractors had this also but not for sure.

part # 22 in the diagram

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_co...5-52550003-0001

Rollerman

Interesting Steve...I didn't know the GT14's used the 10 pinion limited slip diff.

Most of the pre 73 stuff "Raiders" used the 10 pinion LS diff in the 6 speeds as they were called back then.

Jimmy what kind of tires do you have on your D?

Turf tires or ags?...either way rear weight & tire chains will be your quickest/easiest possible solution.

Rideawaysenior

I've got a D160 with regular turf tires that I use for garden work and found the turfs to be not the best choice for traction in this application. This year, I picked up a set of chains as I plowed with it this winter. I left the chains on and the difference is night and day. I pull a modified single bottom plow with it, and I also till with it. Last year was two acres. This year I'm doing close to 4. If you set your self up with a good set of two link chains your traction problems will be solved.

stumpkicker

The tires I have were on it when I got it ! Very large kleets they look like the ones on my skid loader but larger. (Tires dig in very nice) Sometimes too too nice!

I think I will try more weight on the rear. I guess it doesn't help I have a bucket on the front.

Okay (No - welding of spider gears)

Looked for a lever for locking diff (No-Luck)

Boy I sure do appreciate all the help guys THANKS !

Have a c-12 auto it handles much better then the D !

(I put ATV tires on it)

Rideawaysenior

The D's are nice when you have the room to use them. I plow with mine in the winter and for weight I hang the tiller off the three point. That is more weight then I'll ever need and coupled with the chains, it is unstopable.