Sign in to follow this  
GunZ McGraw

ID Help / I think it's a ranger

GunZ McGraw

Hello Folks

As stated in my introduction, I have become a proud owner of a Wheel Horse. Bit of a ugly duckling she is. This was/is a basket case. Literally, I brought it home in 3 boxes. Any how, I would appreciate if someone could run these numbers for a year and model.

Thank you

GunZ McGraw

# on tractor frame/ M - 1 2631

S - 423929

On engine ( Hard to read

ol550

Yup it sure is. 1968 and it's not all that bad just modified. :omg:

wallfish

1-2631 = 1968 Lawn Ranger 4-Speed

Engine Tecumseh H60-75117H

Transmission Wheel Horse 5053

GunZ McGraw

Yup it sure is. 1968 and it's not all that bad just modified. :omg:

I don

GunZ McGraw

1-2631 = 1968 Lawn Ranger 4-Speed

Engine Tecumseh H60-75117H

Transmission Wheel Horse 5053

Thank you! :omg:

Buzz

Actually the engine is a 6hp with aluminum block, not the longest lasting engines although I've owned my 1968 Ranger since 1972. Look in the picture gallery 1965-72 to see what it looked like at one time.

GunZ McGraw

Actually the engine is a 6hp with aluminum block, not the longest lasting engines although I've owned my 1968 Ranger since 1972. Look in the picture gallery 1965-72 to see what it looked like at one time.

Nice Horse Buzz! I see there is only 2 picture post? Not a popular model?

6HP ya say? The engine is in rough shape. The governor is gone and the few times I

pfrederi

This is my L-107 that my father bought new in May 1967 for $469.95 (net of trade in of Porter-Cable MK26) She is still in frequent use on trailer duty. Her first 20 or so years she kept a two acre lot mowed.

About 20 years ago we replaced the H60 with an HH70 to get compression release to make it easier for Father to start it. Since I got it I added electric start. Still have the original H60 put new rings in it and it is ready to back on...but I would lose the electric start :omg:

They are a great little tractor

IMG_0084.jpg

GunZ McGraw

They are a great little tractor

Nice ride Pfrederi!

Good to hear the history of the old girl. Now, being a noob and all I

pfrederi

First Model Numbers. WH changed the series in 1968

1965 - 1967 Were L-105, 106, 107 Recoil start and L-155, 156, 157 electric.

In 1968 basically same unit but Recoil was 1-1631 electric 1-2631.

1969 was a whole different tractor with a vertical shaft motor

As to attachments:

Rangers came with a 32 inch RD deck included in price(it is unique to rangers. The 36" decks used on bigger models will not fit).

I have a Snowblower STR-324

Dozer Blade BDR-385

You could also get a wagon, dump trailer and lawn roller.

You are right most parts (especially those unique to Rangers) are NLA. EBAY and people here are going to be an important sources for you. Some things are simply no longer made. Front tires for instance are an obsolete size. If yours are in good shape you might want to take them off and put on something else till you decide what you want to do with her. The Bushings originally used are also NLA but you can substitute standard 3/4 by 1-3/8 ball bearing universally available. The battery tray from any older short frame WH will fit.

You can get the Owners Manual/parts list from the Yahoo Wheel Horse manuals group # 2.

Or email me. Also i have the engine manual for the 67 but I doubt there are any material differences in motors between 67 and 68. pfrederi1 at hotmail.com

GunZ McGraw

First Model Numbers. WH changed the series in 1968

1965 - 1967 Were L-105, 106, 107 Recoil start and L-155, 156, 157 electric.

In 1968 basically same unit but Recoil was 1-1631 electric 1-2631.

1-2631 doesn

pfrederi

I Think any medium frame H or HH will fit but the air cleaner may be an issue. I had to reuse the H60's the HH70's would not clear the hood.

FYI the Governor gear 30591 is still available for about $10 and the Governor spool 30588A is less than $2

Buzz

1-2631 doesn

bowtieguy

Buzz...can you tell me something about Lawn Ranger belt guards.....I have one that is smooth and one that has an indention for the Lawn Ranger decal....the guards appear to be original with the rest of the tractor ...just wondering!..which guard belong on which model! :omg:

Also noticed that your steering wheel appears to have 3 spokes....one of mine only has TWO spokes :drool: :drool:

pfrederi

1967 and 1968 Had the smooth belt guard...Not a WH better idea. The idler pulley for the mower deck would scuff the belt guard on rough ground (or when the deck mounts got worn with age) and tear off the lawn ranger decal.

1967 and earlier had 2 spoke wheels