Sign in to follow this  
upstate yank

B-80 -8 horse

upstate yank

well here i am again with another issue as my b-80 will not start after mowing the yard the other day which on my last pass the deck belt broke ;so that is no big thing as i have a spare 'so i decided to give it a good bath well after drying out after a few hours of sitting in the sun i went to start it ;sure it spins over but again it won't start 'so i changed the coil which came off a working 8 horse plus the condenser and plug ;still nothing ;i did clean the points with a file and with the test light there is power on the positive side of the coil plus turning the key to the start position the test light did light up plus i checked the solenoid again power on both terminals ;so what am i missing here ;any thoughts i sure would appreciate it'thanks guys 

pfrederi

do you have a spark plug tester?  Could be bad plug or water in the plug wire

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Try the test light on the (-) side of the coil. As the engine turns over the light should flash on and off. When the points are open light ON. When the points are closed light OFF.

If you have a steady light the points are not making electrical contact when closed.

If no light at all there is a short in the wire going to the points or the points themselves are shorted to ground. Moisture could cause this so leave the cover off so they can dry out.

Garry

• Like 1

squonk
1 hour ago, upstate yank said:

well here i am again with another issue as my b-80 will not start after mowing the yard the other day which on my last pass the deck belt broke ;so that is no big thing as i have a spare 'so i decided to give it a good bath well after drying out after a few hours of sitting in the sun i went to start it ;sure it spins over but again it won't start 'so i changed the coil which came off a working 8 horse plus the condenser and plug ;still nothing ;i did clean the points with a file and with the test light there is power on the positive side of the coil plus turning the key to the start position the test light did light up plus i checked the solenoid again power on both terminals ;so what am i missing here ;any thoughts i sure would appreciate it'thanks guys 

Put your test light on the negative terminal of the coil,crank it and see if the light blinks or flashes. It needs to turn on and off whilst cranking to give you the high voltage from the coil. 

upstate yank
8 hours ago, upstate yank said:

UPDATE l was able to get the tractor running i removed the points cover again used a Emory board between the points and the old girl took off and yes i shut it down a few times then started it again and each time it started up it seems i didn't get it enough time to dry out 'so to the ones that replied i thank you so much for your advise ;