Sign in to follow this  
Mattbg79

Auto vs. Hydrostatic

Mattbg79

I have a couple of the manual wheelhorses, but i dont know a thing about the automatics. My question is what is the difference between the hydrostatic and the automatic? Is it just a different term on different years, or is it a completely different setup?

Rollerman

They are completely differant animals.

The manuals you release the clutch in a set gear & go a set speed...pretty basic, trouble free & proven reliable design.

The Hydros can give you a variable speed that can be changed by pulling the direction control lever back & forth with no clutching.

When the Direction Control Lever is moved it alters the pump output pressure/direction resulting in speed/direction changes to the drive motor while the torque remains contant with the engine at a set RPM.

The process is more complicated, probably more sensitive to improper maintanance.

But the end result is a tractor that can be much easier to use with features like hydraulic lift at the implements.

Personally I'm a big hydro fan. :omg:

ol550

My question is what is the difference between the hydrostatic and the automatic?

Just what they were called. Back in '65 if you said hydrostatic someone might have thought it had a water drive. :omg:

Duff

Matt, I think the guys have already answered your question, so since I didn't see you on the "Introductions" page, let me just add :drool: !

Glad you found us!

Duff :omg:

DOC in Kentucky

I think the question is' " whats the difference in a hydrostatic and an automatic?"

Nick

Not sure why the name change but Automatic and hydrostatic are the same. The C-195 twin automatic and the 520-H have the same Eaton hydro.

Rollerman

I think the question is' " whats the difference in a hydrostatic and an automatic?"

Thanks for catching that Doc...guess I went overboard with my answer. :omg:

Both the Auto's & the Hydro moniker by Wheelhorse were hydrostatic transmissions by either Eaton or Sundstrand.

It just a play on words I suppose.

Wheel Horse never used an automotive style auto trans like a car or truck in any of there tractors.

Mattbg79

Thanks for the welcome guys. My family loves wheelhorses, between my dad and brother and I we have 5 now, and im about to pick up my 3rd. their a little addictive arent they! thats why i was wondering the difference. im looking at a

314-A and was wondering if it was the same setup as the H. I also have a restored B-80 and a restored early 80's 310-8. thank you for the info, Matt

Nick

Something we did not mention is that there are some auto (hydro) models with a light duty version of the eaton system. If its a later model hydro and has manual lift rather than hydraulic lift then its the light duty setup. They were not rated for ground engaging attachments.

Coadster32

:omg: Glad you found us. Get the pics a rolling!! :drool:

Mattbg79

I posted what i thought was my B80 in the gallery, but i was quickly corrected, its actually a 1973 8 so you can check it out there. The 310-8 has to be picked up still, and i just bought a 314-A which is sort of a basketcase i found both on Ebay. I still have to pick that one up too. From the looks of it its going to take a while to nurse back to health. But heres the pics of them.

310-81.jpg

310-82.jpg

314-A1.jpg

314-A3.jpg

CHARGER9AUTO

I posted what i thought was my B80 in the gallery, but i was quickly corrected, its actually a 1973 8 so you can check it out there. The 310-8 has to be picked up still, and i just bought a 314-A which is sort of a basketcase i found both on Ebay. I still have to pick that one up too. From the looks of it its going to take a while to nurse back to health. But heres the pics of them.

310-81.jpg

310-82.jpg

314-A1.jpg

314-A3.jpg

Matt, I like your 310-8 restored my favorite is the 314-A I have my '87 418-A with Hydro Lift I traded the '88 416-8 to another Red Square member for his 418 with no Attachments . Ben

Attached Image

post-3-1238609407.jpg

Coadster32

Wow, there must be at least 15 motors in that last pic. :omg:

Mattbg79

Their are alot of motors in the pic! The guy im buying it from says the whole tractor is there and just needs some tlc :omg: . I guess ill find out soon, im going to try and pick it up first, and then head to new jersey for the 310 this friday. I cant wait to have all 3 beautiful and in working order. Id love to find a bucket for either the 10 or the 14.

Rideawaysenior

The 314-A uses the Eaton 700 hydro pump. That is the lighter duty of the two that were used. It is still quite capable though. The main reason as to why they were not rated for ground engaging work is that they have a very small amount of oil and resivoir which is not efficient enough to keep the hydro from overheating when really being worked. The 1100 used on the bigger machines draws fluid from the tranny which provides a larger resivoir much better suited for lower operating temps.

Mattbg79

So is that little white/clear resirvour attached to the gas tank in the picture the hydro res? I cant think of anything else it could be, but then again i dont know a thing about the automatics except what ive learned from here.

The axles between the different models are the same i am guessing? Thanks again, you guys are :omg:

Nick

If you go to the site link below it has parts drawing of both your 300 series Eaton 700 automatic transmission and the 400 series Eaton 1100. The transaxle should be the same for both and a drawing is included at the bottom of the list.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=Toro+Consumer&mn=314-A

Rideawaysenior

Yes, that is the resivoir. It's a tiny tank that sits atop of the pump.