Guest 88vic

308-8 ignition switch

Guest 88vic

Need a part number or if anyone has a good used one that will work on a 1986 308-8, let me know, thanks !

953 nut

Being a 1986 you should have a battery ignition system which uses a 103 990 ignition switch.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

I have to ask this because I don't have time right now to look it up.

Does the 308-8 in 1986 have battery ignition or magneto ignition?

The wrong switch could have devastating results.

I know some 8hp Kohler's have magneto ignition.

Garry

A quick look found magneto ignition but will confirm later if someone else does not

tunahead72

Good catch, Garry!

Everything I have for the 1986 308-8 shows a magneto ignition. This includes the operator's manual (810437R1), and the parts & service manual (810405R1), plus various wiring diagrams I've seen here.  The ignition switch shown in the P&S manual is part number 111215.

@WHEELHORSEFAN3 You should check carefully to make sure yours is a 1986 model. There's a VIN plate on your tractor, on the rear fender just below the front of the seat.  A 1986 model will be either 21-08K801 or 21-08K802.

--------

EDIT:

By the way, you can't always believe everything you read in the manuals, or anywhere for that matter.  The operator's manual and parts & service manual I mentioned earlier both list the engine for the 1986 308-8 as a Kohler K-series, but the model list we have here on the forum says it should be a Kohler Magnum.  Can anybody confirm?

I suppose the only real way to answer @WHEELHORSEFAN3 is to check the actual switch on the tractor.  Are you comfortable unhooking your battery and unplugging the switch for a closer look?  Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the switch for a magneto system will have 6 terminals, the switch for a battery ignition will have 5.

Edited by tunahead72
More information.

gwest_ca

Everything I see says it is the M-Series of engines used in all 308-8 models. 

The 420-LSE and the 718-Z zero turn also got the M-Series in 1986.

All other Kohler powered models used the K-Series engine.

Here is the switch we think is used in the 308-8. Click on the picture for more pictures

Garry

• Like 2

953 nut

According to the list the 1985 and 1986 310-8 used K series, 1987 started the M series engines. Check out section 9, Engines , in the 1986 manual.

Edited by 953 nut

953 nut
4 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

The operator's manual and parts & service manual I mentioned earlier both list the engine for the 1986 308-8 as a Kohler K-series, but the model list we have here on the forum says it should be a Kohler Magnum.  Can anybody confirm?

The list indicates K series too.

Edited by 953 nut

Guest 88vic

I have a magneto ignition,  I recently replaced the coil. The switch is a 6 prong.  M8 Kohler engine. 

Guest 88vic

The switch feels funny when turning the key, nothing happens. The innards probably gave out, im guessing its original.  Gotta love electrical. 

953 nut
25 minutes ago, WHEELHORSEFAN3 said:

M8 Kohler engine.

103 991 in that case.

gwest_ca
18 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The list indicates K series too.

Don't see the mistake in the above chart unless someone has corrected it. Does not show the file being updated.

The IPL does have the K-Series listed but the spec number is for the M8S. Made a note on the file description page for Section 09 Engines.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest 88vic

Tool Crib hooked me up with an original switch, she fired up and came alive. Got some of the Horses out to stretch their legs. 

Guest 88vic

If you look closely, there is actually 6 wheel horses in this picture. 3 of them are hiding.