Horse46

Current drain while cranking

Horse46

Hey all it’s been a while since I’ve been here, all was good in the wheelhorse world and life just gets in the way sometimes. 

Anyhoo as with most forum users I have a problem. Horse46 hasn’t run since November and it appears I have a problem, it’s always been a struggle to turn over because I thought my battery I thought my battery didn’t have the cc to spin a 16 over. I’m am now using a beast of a battery from my car but have the same issue. But I have noticed that the spring on the pto arm is getting really hot when cranking. I think it’s a bad earth but don’t know what to do about it, any suggestions?

Mike

Racinbob

Simply go through all the electrical connections and make sure they are clean and tight. If your tractor has the wobble mount engine there should be a jumper from the block to the frame. That could be the issue why the pto spring is trying to act as the ground. :)

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Horse46

Hi Bob yes it is rubber mounted, what type of jumper should it be, battery size cable thickness?

• Like 1

squonk

If something metal is getting hit when cranking yes your ground path is comprised .

• Like 3

953 nut

I would suggest you move the ground wire from the frame and secure it directly to the engine block at one of the starter bolts.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob
37 minutes ago, Horse46 said:

Hi Bob yes it is rubber mounted, what type of jumper should it be, battery size cable thickness?

What Richard said. I'd use #6 wire. :)

Leave some slop because the engine will shake independently of the frame. 

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Horse46

Cheers guys I will give it a try later, at work at mo typing under the desk. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sarge

For all models - you're best choice is a heavy gauge wire directly to the engine block at the starter mount or starter-gen mount, as well as a decent (12ga.) ground wire to the frame from the battery negative. If you have a model that uses a solenoid for the starter - use one of the solenoid mounting bolts as a grounding point, this will prevent future issues for both the charging system as well as the starting system. Internal tooth lock washers under the bolt head and another one between the wire and metal you want to ground also helps, along with some dielectric grease. This setup will last for many years and the whole electrical system will perform as it should. 

Sarge

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Horse46

As I suspected the resident geniuses are still in the house 😎

so I have dug out some spare battery cables ( all I have) I have checked my earths which seem ok but I think it may be in the wrong place, from shaker plate to chassis rail? My other is the original placement from battery negative. 

squonk

If a metal part (chassis) is getting hot, excessive current is flowing through it (high resistance) Your grounds may "seem ok" but they are not. If your cables are original, replace them.

Example: I was working on a friends truck. I had the negative cable disconnected at the frame. I forgot about it. I went to start. it and it cranked and melted the body ground cable that went from the fender to the battery, All of the starter amps were going through the little fender ground and not the big cable, The fender ground wire was too small to handle the current just like your PTO clip.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Horse46

Good news I got her going, I ran a lead from original earth to the chassis rail, this seemed to help but it didn’t seem to cure the problem, now I don’t understand electrickery but I held another earth lead  from the original and just held it against the spring and turned the key and it just fired right up???

so good news but I don’t think it’s cured 😂 

Racinbob

No, not from the shaker plate. Get a good connection from the engine block to the frame. Basically jumpering around the wobble mount. Make sure your cables connected to the battery are good and have a clean, solid connection on both ends. :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Horse46

No not the shaker plate I left that one on, where the battery earths next to that plug, I ran another from there to the chassis.

I was fighting the light and needed a quick fix as my lawn is like 8 inches high already, now it is down a bit and the weekend is here I can have a proper go at it.

Thank you for all the advise though guys it is genuinely appreciated.👍