Sign in to follow this  
12Horse Paladin

Low Buck Paint Restore/Cleanup Ideas Wanted

12Horse Paladin

It's getting warmer here, finally, and I'm looking to start some outside projects.:)

Most notably, I want to cleanup, best I can (without painting/grinding, etc) this:342683290_ASGOT2-28-2019.jpg.c550e5b41a7be4c3ebed649b3c0d83af.jpg1261499749_WHTRAILBLAZERASGOT2-28-19.jpg.fb187fe69226b6607d8786f63f5bc9c8.jpg

What materials/methods do you all recommend? I've read plenty about WD, sandpaper, Scotch Brite, and the like, but what would you use/ do (steps would you take), specifically?

Ideally, I'd like to find the original paint under there ( I like to keep keep things like this original, whenever I can)....I think, from what little I know, there is still plenty of good paint/finish there; a good cleanup would do wonders, maybe? I dunno; I work with wood plenty; never having really tackled sheetmetal, I'm hesitant to just grab sandpaper and go at it; hope y'all get my meaning.

I know the rims will need a repaint, but for now, I'm just concerned with bringing back that RED!;)

Thanks for any advice, tips, or tricks you are willing to share!

Edited by 12Horse Paladin

bellevillerod

0000 steel wool and some type of penetrating oil. Just spray down and scrub down. When finished wash real good with like a dawn dish-washing soap and then wax it real good. Keeps the patina and protects the machine from further rust. Of course grease and oil where needed, shut off the gas and run it til it dies. Good to go til next year....JMTC 

• Like 2

Pullstart

I have done soap and water with fine grit sand paper, on my 656 I call the Polished Turd.  It worked out awesome!  I have also used WD40 and a fine sand paper too, on another tractor.  The results were similar, but I think the soap and water was less mess!  Oh yeah, we buffed that one too...

• Haha 1

ohiofarmer

Touvj It might actually be easier to use Rust-Oleum clear coat after you find that red paint that is still there

They make it from matte to gloss With the matte easier to apply as it does not run very easily.  Spray it on an area that does not show  to see if you like it or not.. Touch ups are a breeze because ovrerspray is not an issue

I also use oxslic acid to treat the rust pits and then wash it off with soapy water before painting. The pits actually turn black which looks pretty cool my

Retired Wrencher

12horse. Over the years I find the easiest is use Marvel Mystery oil . It is cheap and easy to use. Wipe on let it sit wipe off excess. Bring out what color is there and protects the meatal. Just my :twocents-02cents: