moe1965

Detergent and nondetergent oil

moe1965

I was wondering I didn't know if this is old school information or what to use detergent oil in engines that have filters and nondetergent oil if they do not have an oil filter. Is this still true what are your thoughts and if so what oils are safe to use in Kohler engines Etc that do not have oil filters.  Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

WHX??

Non detergents only in motors with out a filter. Detergent oil keeps dirt/particles in suspension to be removed by a filter. School of thoughts on non filter engine is let it settle to sump to be drained out on oil change. Hence the straight 30 weight non detergent in our older Kohlers. This is why is important to do regular changes on that old but still chugging 241.  Old skool info yes but still rings true.

• Like 4

bc.gold

On older engines that used non detergent oil it was common to see a build up of coke behind the piston rings and other places inside the engine that ran hot.

With modern detergent lubricants you do not have a coking problem and today's mechanic has long ago retired his piston ring groove cleaner.

groove.jpg

ebinmaine

I used to think the same thing as you.

No filter. No detergent.

The schools of thought have gone back and forth on this for at least 30 years but I think the most current Kohler manual shows that it's okay to use detergent oil.

I do NOT know how far back that manual is in effect.

Here's the part you really need to pay attention to:

CHANGE YOUR OIL OFTEN

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
20 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

CHANGE YOUR OIL OFTEN

Yes if you stick to a strict regiment I don't think it matters a whole lot.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob

I've heard the same thing about no filter/no detergent but I've always used detergent in all my Kohlers. My thoughts are that if you use non detergent the crud in suspension will continue to mix with everything else and won't settle until the engine is shut off. When you restart it the splishing and splashing just mixes them up again. If some stay on the bottom it's likely that they won't drain out properly because they are now sludge. The bottom line is what Jim and Eric said, change often. :twocents-mytwocents:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Kohler Manual says detergent.

• Like 4

ri702bill

I too believe in frequent oil changes using 30 weight detergent oil - On all my K161 and K181 tractors, I change it once I see that it discolored on the dipstick. I go so far as while it almost done draining , I add a few ounces of fresh oil to help chase out what is in the pan. Since all you have is splash lubrication and no filter, every bit helps.

Bill

• Like 3

WHX??
42 minutes ago, squonk said:

Kohler Manual says detergent.

I guess I never realized ther was a detergent oil in a strait 30??

squonk

Yup. I use Rotella 30W from TSC

• Like 1

pfrederi

I hate to get into oil discussion but non-detergent oil also is missing many of the additives that make modern SJ series oils much better lubricants with better heat resistance, anti foaming  etc than the old non-detergent.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
Just now, pfrederi said:

I hate to get into oil discussion but non-detergent oil also is missing many of the additives that make modern SJ series oils much better lubricants with better heat resistance, anti foaming  etc than the old non-detergent.

Agreed.

• Like 1

moe1965

Thanks for all the comments and information that everyone is giving I enjoy other people's thoughts on stuff that's why I posted this question I guess what started the whole thing is I'm currently resurrecting an old 1948 Clinton engine that probably has not been run in over 35 years the oil that was in it was a oil that I've never seen or smelled like before it was thick like gear oil reddish in color not like transmission fluid and had a very unusual smell to it I was just trying to figure out what the previoud owner might have used back in the day I have no idea and I was just wondering what oil I should use it has no filter therefore I'm assuming it was a non detergent oil also I have 3 older wheel horse tractors with kohler engine that I want to make sure I'm running the correct oil in.  Thanks again 

953 nut
22 minutes ago, moe1965 said:

has not been run in over 35 years the oil that was in it was a oil that I've never seen or smelled like before it was thick like gear oil reddish in color not like transmission fluid and had a very unusual smell to it

:text-goodpost:

There is no telling what was dumped in it three and a half decades ago. Perhaps a witches brew of STP and Marvel Mystery Oil. The important thing is you are cleaning every bit of it out and starting fresh. I have my opinion and others have theirs, some based on long held beliefs and some based on myths. One thing is sure, any oil you buy today is superior to what was on the market a couple generations ago.

This topic came up a few months back and received a lot of worthwhile input, take a look,

clueless

Down here Rotella 40W all year long, for the past 34 years no problems :thumbs:.

jebbear

My oil of choice has always been Pennzoil, straight 30 weight (detergent) in small engines.

richmondred01

I’ve been using straight 30 weight (detergent) for decades in the flathead kohlers. 

I also use the same oil in my 79 year old flathead ford. 

I change the oil every 20 hours in the Kohlers and every 2000 miles in the old ford or once a year, which every comes first.