Sign in to follow this  
ztnoo

Top 5 Things To Know When Buying a Phase Converter

ztnoo

I am less than a rank amateur on this subject, but I ran across this short article and accompanying video I thought might be of interest to some members.

I'm sure our resident electricians will jump in and offer commentary which I'm sure would be enlightening as well.

https://www.americanrotary.com/blog/5-phase-converter-tips/

JoeM

#6 Consult your local power company before installation or purchase. They get very fussy when it comes to these converters. (my experience)

bc.gold

A machinist buddy made his own phase converter from an old 3 phase electric motor wired to run at 220 volts 3 phase.

He used a 1/4 hp 120 volt electric motor coupled with a love joy to first get the larger 3 phase rolling over as your home built converter will not start from a dead stop. The small electric get her rolling, once its rolling over switch on your 220 volt power supply then disconnect power from the small lectric nad let it coast along with your new phase converter as it generate that third leg to run your 3 phase lathe or what ever/

From your 220 single phase source ( street power ), connect ( Normally open Switch ) L1 and L2 to any two of the L1, L2 or L3 leads on your 3 phase the orphan lead is your third leg you feed to your 3 phase equipment. The remaining pair of leads is supplied from street power, if the 3 ph motor runs in the wrong direction just switch any pair from the three power leads.