briankd

K 181 valve lash question

briankd

was wanting to check and adjust valves on my K181  in my 857 before springtime use and was looking in the kouler manual and it says to check them and if not in spec either grind them to get the lash or replace them . 

been so long now since i been into this engine i thought they had adjustable tappets ? anyone messed with this lattley?  i really don't want to have to tear it all apart for this 

rmaynard

No adjustable tappets. If they are too tight, the stems have to be ground. If there is too much gap, they either have to be replaced or the valve seats ground to allow the valve stem to sit closer to the tappet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

briankd
14 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

No adjustable tappets. If they are too tight, the stems have to be ground. If there is too much gap, they either have to be replaced or the valve seats ground to allow the valve stem to sit closer to the tappet.

yep that is what i seen  in the manual . this has a  strange noise under a heavy load from the exhaust like a crackling noise maybe like bacon frying   . thought maybe an exhaust valve leak or really haven't looked close yet maybe a head gasket leak  

thanks  

Edited by briankd

moe1965

I recently had to grind my valves to make the adjustment. If you have to do the same take a little off at a time and re check. Very easy to take off to much 

• Like 1

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:

Got a little carried away on  a KT-17 (also nonadjustable)  The ticking noise is a constant reminder....

gt14rider

I rebuilt my k181 last summer and had to adjust valves, don't have a valve grinder, so used lapping compound and put suction cup off hand lapping tool on drill. Slowly forward then reverse, check, repeat. Took off 7 or 8 thousands. Again slowly, check.  Also check valve guides. Valve guides are a pita to replace on k181 You my want a machine shop to do the job. I know this is not the way to do this but it worked.

briankd

finally had time to work on this and valves are fine . just couldn't figure out why this noise it had under a load. inspected head gasket and it is good replaced the carb mount gasket and thought what the heck swaped the coil from my c-120 onto this k-181 cause i have a new one for it. coil on this k-181 probably might be original and wala this ran best it ever did hard to beleive i been useing it these years with the old coil on it must have been weak but it had good spark 

thanks for the help guys   Brian

• Like 1