ronhatch

LAWN SWEEPERS?

ronhatch

Even though I have a great vacuum set up on my high wheel Case 4016, I'm still thinking about buying a lawn sweeper for pulling around with my beloved 867 WH  I like the idea of a 2 around spiral bush set up like the Ohio Steel unit has because it easier on the gears, but I also like the Brinly 3 around brush set up because I think it would do a better job of sweeping.. Unfortunately, they all have plastic gears in the wheels including the Agra-Fab. Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?  Thanks. Ron

pabird

I have the Brinly sweeper and it is a good one. And parts are readily available. If you buy it order a few of the ratcheting gears ( L & R ) and pins. They are considered consumable items.

• Thanks 1

lynnmor

I have the 50" AllFit sweeper from Home Depot.  It is made by Ohio Steel and is exactly the same, but lower priced.  It works well and I have given it a tremendous workout for the past three years.  I've replaced some of the framework around the bag and one wheel.  I believe that all sweepers should be regarded as disposable items with a short life especially if you have rough terrain and a lot of it like me.

Edited by lynnmor

gt14rider

Got this sweeper for free, from the guy I got the 856 from for $50. It's a 1972 vintage agri-fab

IMG_20180718_184637478.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Reel Mower Freak
1 hour ago, gt14rider said:

Got this sweeper for free, from the guy I got the 856 from for $50. It's a 1972 vintage agri-fab

IMG_20180718_184637478.jpg

I have the same one. It takes a beating and keeps on going. It does a great job striping the lawn. Everyone likes nice straight mower lines.

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

What I like about the 44" Agri-Fab is when you raise the brush that is all you are raising. I added a linear actuator so never have to leave the seat. Raise the brush to go to the dump pile and when you get back just lower the brush until you hear it hitting the grass or just enough to sweep. Too much brush pressure is what destroys them.

Garry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Reel Mower Freak

Pics of the actuator if you have a chance sometime. That’s a great idea. 

• Thanks 1

ronhatch

Thanks everyone for the feed back!!  I'm wondering if those 1972 Agra-Fab sweepers lasted so long because they have metal gears?  35 years ago or so, I picked up a 'Parker' unit that someone was throwing out. It was a 30" push model, but it had 3 brushes around the shaft. I installed a hitch for my tractor and boy did that work great. It picked up everything unlike a used 2 brush Agra-Fab unit I bought later from a neighbor. With my limited experience with sweepers, I like the 3 around brush set up like the Brinly has because I would think they would do a better job, but they are also much more expensive. I also like the Ohio Steel sweepers with the spiral brush because it takes alot of strain off the gears. Then I have a Blain's Farm & Fleet about 3 miles from my house and they sell Agra-Fab plus they're made in my home state. It also has 12" wheels and the great design reason 'gwest_ca' has pointed out. Unfortunately I've been reading about all the gear failures Agra-Fab owners have been having. So, I'm thinking about buying a 44" Agra-Fab and putting a 180 degree twist in the brushes when I assemble the unit to help preserve the gears. or just go with the $220 Ohio Steel unit from my least favorite store,Walmart, but what's the fun in that?

WVHillbilly520H
8 minutes ago, ronhatch said:

Thanks everyone for the feed back!!  I'm wondering if those 1972 Agra-Fab sweepers lasted so long because they have metal gears?  35 years ago or so, I picked up a 'Parker' unit that someone was throwing out. It was a 30" push model, but it had 3 brushes around the shaft. I installed a hitch for my tractor and boy did that work great. It picked up everything unlike a used 2 brush Agra-Fab unit I bought later from a neighbor. With my limited experience with sweepers, I like the 3 around brush set up like the Brinly has because I would think they would do a better job, but they are also much more expensive. I also like the Ohio Steel sweepers with the spiral brush because it takes alot of strain off the gears. Then I have a Blain's Farm & Fleet about 3 miles from my house and they sell Agra-Fab plus they're made in my home state. It also has 12" wheels and the great design reason 'gwest_ca' has pointed out. Unfortunately I've been reading about all the gear failures Agra-Fab owners have been having. So, I'm thinking about buying a 44" Agra-Fab and putting a 180 degree twist in the brushes when I assemble the unit to help preserve the gears. or just go with the $220 Ohio Steel unit from my least favorite store,Walmart, but what's the fun in that?

I don't about those other folks and there troubles but my 44" AGRI-FAB has yet to have the dreaded gear failure and I ran the hopper to overloaded with thick green grass on basically a reclaimed cow pasture as my yard...

IMAG3175.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

oldredrider

I bought a new Brinly almost 20 years ago....before the price of a sweeper got insane. It performs great; no complaints at all. On top of that, I've never replaced a single part on it. 

Yup, I'm very pleased with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

I have a couple of 42" Agri-Fab sweepers that I bought used, have no idea how old, but they work great. When collecting leaves in the fall I use the 42" rear discharge mower to grind them up while towing the sweeper.

• Thanks 1

ericj

I had bought a Parker years ago and it did a pretty good job, even loaned it out to a couple of neighbors and one off them like it so much that he bought his own Parker sweeper. I sold mine after I got my Wheel Horse vac bagger. Then when the neighbor decide to go with a lawn service he gave me his Parker. It was in better shape then my original one. I also have an old wheel horse sweeper, but it's in pretty bad shape and have never used it. Thinking about bringing it along to the big show this year, I'll have to think about that one.

My advice would be to look around and see if you could find an old used one in good shape. The spring mud sales are going to be coming up soon

eric j   

• Thanks 1

ronhatch

I finally got off the pot and pulled the trigger concerning a lawn sweeper. I just brought home a new 42" Brinly with the 6 brush (3 around & 2 wide) set up from Home Depot.

I will be removing the snowplow, rear weight and cable chains from my 876 and also assembling the Brinly unit tomorrow when the temps get up to 55 degrees.   But I'm still going to have to wait until the ground drys out a little, no, make that a lot.  Almost time to spread the pre-emergence and fertilizer too.  Let the good time roll!  I loved, and now miss doing the field work with a model "A" JD on my grandpa's and my dad's farms when I was a teenager back in the 1950's, early 60's.  Miss them too!  :(

Edited by ronhatch
  • Like 1

squonk

I bought  a used Brinly for 50 bucks. I decided to replace the little drive pin thingys. I called Brinly and told the nice girl there I picked up this sweeper at a yard sale and wanted to replace he thingys and didn't know where to find them. She sent them free !!! :banana-linedance:

• Like 3

Stormin

I've an old Wheel Horse sweeper that's seen a lot of use and abuse. I use it to sweep the village green and verges, which are not what you would call flat. Only things to be replaced are the plastic castor wheels. Made some out of oak.

DSCF0042.JPG.a18473db0d86d3996146a56ea390228e.JPG

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 3

squonk
2 hours ago, Stormin said:

I've an old Wheel Horse sweeper that's seen a lot of use and abuse. I use it to sweep the village green and verges, which are not what you would call flat. Only things to be replaced are the plastic castor wheels. Made some out of oak.

DSCF0042.JPG.a18473db0d86d3996146a56ea390228e.JPG

Is that an old Land Cruiser in the background Norm? 

Sarge

No, that would be a Rover.

Nice sweeper and a good looking C series.

Sarge