bellevillerod

Commando 8 seat

bellevillerod

I have started to redo a seat on my commando. I have the same rips on mine that I see on many others. Top corners have come apart and allow water in. Other than that the seat is in great shape. I plan on blasting the metal pan and painting it. How have others fixed the corners, I want to keep the back original. 

20190302_203517.jpg

20190302_203532.jpg

20190302_203542.jpg

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I have taken the back cushion apart and saved the front.   Then sewed in a new piece of vinyl around the outside.

• Excellent 1

bellevillerod
8 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I have taken the back cushion apart and saved the front.   Then sewed in a new piece of vinyl around the outside.

I do have my late mothers singer sewing machine but not any real time using it. Might have to break it out and practice on some scrap material. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Since I'm assuming you don't want to use Gorilla tape to do this :ychain: I can't help you with the actual procedure.

I will say to remember to get a vinyl that is good in cold temperatures such as you'd use for a snowmobile seat.

Even if you have no intention of using the machine in the cold, the material is generally a better quality.

• Like 2

SPINJIM

If you don't want to struggle with 'Do It Yourself" sewing, find a furniture upholstery shop or car upholstery shop nearby.   There are some jobs that should be farmed out to someone with more experience.   The job will turn out better.

Jim

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

bellevillerod
1 minute ago, SPINJIM said:

If you don't want to struggle with 'Do It Yourself" sewing, find a furniture upholstery shop or car upholstery shop nearby.   There are some jobs that should be farmed out to someone with more experience.   The job will turn out better.

Jim

You read my mind, for something this small and me doing the bulk of the work. I can't see that it would cost much at all to have someone with a professional machine and skill set do the sewing for me. The lady who sews my patches on my cycle leathers should be able to knock this out in seconds. A one time done an forget it kind of thing. Now I am thinking that I might want to heat an undo the glue on both and replace the foam as it is on it's last leg. Not much give in the seat on these tractors, might make it ride a little nicer. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

One thing I always do when rebuilding these two cushion seats.     I cover the edges of the inner plates with duct tape to prevent the damage that you have on your back cushion.

IMG_1806.JPG.51da9273ad75aa23d693bd2fc528e8f2.JPGpost-7208-0-42337300-1425133577.jpg

My Commando 8 seat built from scratch.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

bellevillerod

Hey Guys

Question for you, what glue to use to reattach the seat to the metal backer? I have a 3M spray adhesive glue, one kind I have is for like headliners and the other is for counter-top's and the like. In removing the seat it seamed like it was a rubber cement or the glue that is used for car weatherstrip. Just looking for what others have used and gotten the best results from.

Ed Kennell

I actually don't use any adhesive.  I use a hole punch to punch holes about every inch around the edge of the vinyl, the lace it together with a waxed taxidermy chord.  I found this way I can adjust the tension on the cushions an keep it taunt when I bolt it to the seat pan.

• Like 1

bellevillerod
17 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I actually don't use any adhesive.  I use a hole punch to punch holes about every inch around the edge of the vinyl, the lace it together with a waxed taxidermy chord.  I found this way I can adjust the tension on the cushions an keep it taunt when I bolt it to the seat pan.

Is this with the original seat material or with new vinyl? I am thinking it might want to rip the 50yo vinyl when pulled taunt. Ed this is the seat bottom I'm talking about, I am taking your advice and having new vinyl sewed to the upper seat back. The lower cushion just needs new inner foam the vinyl is excellent with no rip's. I'm soaking the old foam in a cleaning solution now and am going to see if it's savable to reuse with some added foam to give it the height and cushion it once had.

Ed Kennell

I was referring to a new cushion with new vinyl.    As you say, the holes may pull out of the old dry vinyl.     I have used 3M spray contact cement with success to attach foam, batting and material when building seat cushions.

• Thanks 1

bellevillerod
2 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I was referring to a new cushion with new vinyl.    As you say, the holes may pull out of the old dry vinyl.     I have used 3M spray contact cement with success to attach foam, batting and material when building seat cushions.

Great thanks, that's what I will try and see how well it works. Everything else I have used that stuff on has stayed together. But has not been subjected to the wet an cold outdoor weather that this seat will be. I just wish this single digit weather would go away. My spare room now has parts from 3 different tractors laying around. If this keeps up I'm not gonna have a working tractor come spring...lol

• Thanks 1