Lee1977

New to me Wheel Horse

12Horse Paladin

THATS NICE!:handgestures-thumbup:

All I own sofar are 12's...but someday I'd like to upsize a lil...and I do like the newer/later styled Horses.

Hope you enjoy!

The Tuul Crib

Hell yea!! Great lookin piece of

American craftsmanship !! 

Im jealous ! Keep an eye on it :ph34r:

make room for another!!

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Haha 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

A great machine, take care of it and it will take care of you.

Glenn

Pollack Pete

VERY nice 520-H.Looks to be in decent shape.Have fun with your new toy.I've had many of them.Got one left that I'll never part with.

Lee1977

It needs a good cleaning up It's been a while since it got one. Was bought at an estate sale by the fellow I got it from.  It was stored in a barn at the estate sale and had been there a while from the amount of dust and dirt on it. He clean off the out side some and used it last summer. Has 770 hours on the clock. Every thing seams to work, haven't had time to check it out as I got it yesterday afternoon. I'll have some questions as it's my first hydro. If the hours are right that 30 hours a year. I'm going to take it apart clean it up and patch up the few rusty

spots and use it this summer. Might repaint some of the sheet metal later this summer if I can match the existing paint.

• Like 3

lynnmor
16 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Might repaint some of the sheet metal later this summer if I can match the existing paint.

You can still buy:

Toro 361-10 Touch-Up Spray Paint - New Red

AMC RULES

Reel Mower Freak
22 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

I watched the video. Some good info but with that many coats when you pull that tape it will have an obvious line where the new paint is much higher than the old paint imo. I just can’t see it blending in well like that. 

rmaynard

Owners manual explains how to adjust your reverse creep problem. If you don't have a manual, you can download one for free from our files section. 

Welcome to the forum.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

Lee1977

I don't believe it has ever been cleaned up. So for I've got about a bail of hay and 25 pounds of dirt out of it. Looks like he was mowing a swamp, If it don't stop raining soon my back yard will be a swamp.

The transmission oil is clean but It still has a Toro filter so I don't  know if it's been changed. I'll change the filter and run it a while before I change it. I made about a mile lap around the property . The throttle 

kept  backing off so used the vice grips to clamp the rivet and it tighten up maybe that will last a while.  

WVHillbilly520H
3 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

The transmission oil is clean but It still has a Toro filter so I don't  know if it's been changed. I'll change the filter and run it a while before I change it. I made about a mile lap around the property . The throttle 

kept  backing off so used the vice grips to clamp the rivet and it tighten up maybe that will last a while.  

I have used the TORO filter since new in my Anniversary 520H, tried the NAPA version I wasn't impressed, and I have had great success with the vice grips on the throttle lever rivet.

lynnmor

Since you had so much hay, be sure to pull the seat, then fender and the gas tank.  That hay will rust the heck out of the seat support.  Clean up and sandblast the seat support if necessary, then paint.  I actually do this every fall after the grass season so that the snow season doesn't keep it wet.

WVHillbilly520H
1 minute ago, lynnmor said:

Since you had so much hay, be sure to pull the seat, then fender and the gas tank.  That hay will rust the heck out of the seat support.  Clean up and sandblast the seat support if necessary, then paint.  I actually do this every fall after the grass season so that the snow season doesn't keep it wet.

Or so doesn't turn out like this one...

IMAG2017.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Confused 1

Lee1977

It looked a lot worse then that one.  Had  1/2" of grass on top of the gas tank that had already turn into a solid mass. I got the rear fender area then i pulled another panel off the dash tower. If a Wheel Horse every needed saving this is one of them.  I think it would have been completely rusted out in another 3 or 4 years.

SAM-0936.jpg

SAM-0937.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977

What's with the steering wheels on the 520.  The way it rocks around I don't believe it has a metal sleeve. Has anyone drilled one out and epoxied 

in a metal sleeve to fix the wheel.

lynnmor
24 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

What's with the steering wheels on the 520.  The way it rocks around I don't believe it has a metal sleeve. Has anyone drilled one out and epoxied 

in a metal sleeve to fix the wheel.

There were several different steering wheels over the years.  I have a 1997 that has a pot metal center that is soft junk.  I used Loctite 609 to take up the slop.  A new spring pin also helps.

Lee1977

Any body installed an electric fuel pump on a 520, if so where did you mount it? Some one had routed the fuel line over top of the drive pulley and it was worn about 2/3 of the way. Broke the fuel pump changing the line.  

lynnmor

I haven't used an electric pump, cheap vacuum pumps are available on the big auction site.  The fuel line should be routed behind the red cover on the left side.  Some have reported that adding a check valve in the fuel line will correct the long starting times, I bought the check valves but haven't installed them yet.

• Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Any body installed an electric fuel pump on a 520, if so where did you mount it? Some one had routed the fuel line over top of the drive pulley and it was worn about 2/3 of the way. Broke the fuel pump changing the line.  

Honesty IMO you would be just fine with one of the cheaper eBay or Amazon replacement pumps which I have/do use with great success you may want to install one of those fancy aluminum one way check cables to help with intermittent start ups...https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282742282069...then actually routing a new fuel line in the correct side of the frame.

Lee1977

I should have called this  " Wheel Horse Rescue ". I have work all week cleaning it up and treating the rusted areas. Worked all day Friday on the Onan. The rear cylinder fins and cover was completely packed. No way it could get any air to it. I scraped it out then used a complete can of brake clean on the fins, crank case and motor mount then blew it out with the air hose. It's leaked a lot of oil as the crank case vent wasn't tighten up. Might not have leaked much, but it was enough to make a big mess. The main fuse box had gotten over into the drive belt the wire bare on one side and a big gash in the box, but it was still running so I taped it up and and used a wire tie to keep it in place. Will order a new fuse box.  The rusty parts I could get to I scraped, washed, sanded and painted with Agriguard then sprayed color.  Not having the right color of red I sprayed the gas tank and fender bracket black.  Down in the hood stand I scraped brushed and painted with Agriguard.  Got a fuel pump on order hope to get it next week.  Hope to get it back running next week. I bought the to paint my 48" deck It's some tough stuff we see how well it holds up.

SAM-0943.jpg

SAM-0941.jpg

SAM-0942.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

Lee1977

Changing tires on the 520. Using this method it took about 5 minutes a tire to get the old one off. One rear had a tube and it need cleaning up and paint.  Both fronts have tubes, haven't taken them off yet. I'll get pictures of the new tires when I get them on the rims.

SAM-0947.jpg

SAM-0948.jpg

Lee1977

My luck ran out with one of the front wheels, no way I tried would that tire come off. It's off and it isn't the first time I used the method.  Just have to be real careful when you use a side grinder with cutting disk to cut the beads.

SAM-0949.jpg

The rim took a lot of clean up the tire was glued on with something that dried hard. I scraped, wire brushed and sanded to get it all off.

GrandpaRay

the check valve solved my problem of the pump taking forever to push enough fuel to fire.