The Tuul Crib

I hit a snag!!

The Tuul Crib

Things have been going pretty smooth up to now. I was looking at the lift arm to attach on the frame and realized there are no holes on this frame. Now the tractor is a 1967 model 1067 a somewhere down the line the PO got the attachment to put on the frame in front to use a newer style mule drive and use a newer deck. That all fit great. Now today when I got to lookin closer I can’t use the lift arm because there are no holes. I guess I can disassemble every thing and drill the necessary holes. But I’m thinking if they made the bracket for the mule drive in front what do you suppose they had in mind to use a newer lift arm in the rear? What are the two holes below this point do?

69198077-58A6-4988-9DE2-C42023CE7284.jpeg

20629CBD-E7C2-441A-9399-FE331216BFF4.jpeg

67380CA2-DE64-40B6-8AF3-160DF0DA66FF.jpeg

5667F84F-71FB-4D3E-BE92-32BCD8FDE82C.jpeg

43AE8A7B-CC88-49DF-B3DC-D399BBA44A49.jpeg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I don't have the answer for you but maybe @Stepney could help?

• Like 1

Racinbob

I see no reason you couldn't use the older lift arm. That's probably what they planned. The lower holes are for certain attachments. A side sickle bar mower is one that comes to mind. :)

• Like 1

Lee1977

Some was asking that same thing a week or so ago and no body gave an answer. I think you need to pull the belt guard and drill some holes if you want to use the lift bar. I would locate the holes and drill a 3/16" hole each side first, it will make drilling the larger holes a lot easier.  The bushing side is 5/8" and the 1/2" hole doesn't go all the way through on the later models. You will have to drill the shaft for a carter key and washer on the inside of the frame on the right side.

Ed Kennell

My guess is,  his plan was to just use a chain directly from the lift lever to the deck.  

• Like 1

Stormin

The two holes in the first photo, do take a sickle bar.

The Tuul Crib
12 minutes ago, Stormin said:

The two holes in the first photo, do take a sickle bar.

I’ve often wondered what they are for . They have to have a porpus!

Stormin

1387571975_2002-01-0819_55_19.jpg.35a755c1828c20f9bb512892217eb0d1.jpg

There you are. :handgestures-thumbup:

The Tuul Crib
29 minutes ago, Stormin said:

1387571975_2002-01-0819_55_19.jpg.35a755c1828c20f9bb512892217eb0d1.jpg

There you are. :handgestures-thumbup:

What attachment is that?

Stormin

Sickle mower. Rear mount.

• Thanks 1

Stormin

Look up my topic. Sickle bar fun. Restorations etc 2017.

Stepney

I've been pondering this situation for some time now. Came to find through old paperwork that WH offered a special offset lift rod to use the newer decks, in conjunction with the newer lift assembly. If you use the original lift rod on the newer deck, it will hit the steering support. On my 68 Electro 12 it was missing the hand brake and rods. The holes that happened to be there fit a C-160 lift bar perfectly and the original C trunnion rod worked. It lifted a deck as designed.. but now the holes for the hand brake/tensioner are occupied. On a gear drive, I don't see why you cant make those holes. Or just make up an offset rod. I have not yet found anyone with dimensions of this special offset rod. The other way to do it would be a chain down to a lower point on the rear of the deck. As I understand it, doing this may cause it to lift off kilter. I have yet to get in the shop and really get my hands on mine. 

• Like 2

WHX??

Sounds like the fellas have got you pointed in the right direction Crib but personally I would have ditched the whole PO thing and went back to an orginal for a 1067. The orginal set up cut :chores-mowlawn:excellent if thats what you have planned for it.  One reason I might be saying this tho is I have  pile of decks & setups for these years. The other is  just don' think mules have any business being on a vintage tractor... again just my :twocents-02cents:. You can have one for that four letter word that starts with F if you can figure out a way to get one to you. Even give ya the pick of the litter! :lol:

Edited by WHX22
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

I rigged up a chain to lift a modern deck on my 1267. And having that bracket on the front also lets you run the newer style snowblower and if you have a worn out mule, you make a clip,on front weight out of it! :banana-wrench:

The Tuul Crib

I have not yet found a part number or a pdf for this adapter for the mule drive.  I’m thinking it must have meen made by someone and they must have known what they were doing.

Now this morning I attached this deck off of my 414-8 and everything lines up. 

598860A3-8405-432E-A7A0-3F4AE13D298E.jpeg

08EB978A-53CE-4B6B-9DD1-C1F03FCE8206.jpeg

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I rigged up a chain to lift a modern deck

Yep, It worked for me.

The Tuul Crib

Just got done drilling the holes necessary and putting lift arm in place. It all lines up perfectly. New meets old!!

684F1C3F-3A95-436B-A8F5-03D3B17147BD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2