Sign in to follow this  
12Horse Paladin

$30 Find; pics @ it's new home 2 days ago

Toasty

I have been casually looking for one my self.  Great find, especially for that price.

• Like 1

classiccat

Nice find and great deal!

I’m a bit of a vintage snowblower junkie myself (Ariens, Toro and Allis Chalmers).

a few tips to really boom the white stuff.

1) new auger belt...and may as well change the traction belt as well while you are in there.

2) with the machine off and spark plug disconnected, reach into the chute, grab hold of the impeller shaft and check for play.  If no play, bolt on some rubber on the impeller fins (check “snowblower impeller mod” in YouTube.   If you have impeller shaft play, you’re gonna want to split the machine and swap out the impeller bearing (or bushing)...then install the impeller rubber.

If the engine doesn’t have enough “ooomf”...

3) make sure the engine has good compression.  I always treat new-to-me engines to a valve job (adjust clearances to spec and lap), carbon removal, carb cleaning/rebuild and a new head gasket.  That’s a points engine so I’d also clean up the points and check the gap.

• Like 2

12Horse Paladin

Thanks for the info/ideas, classiccat.

I'm kinda oddly "into" the old sno throwers, m'self....you can see my main blower tucked in the corner of my garage in my last pic....a 1973 Airens.

I get more compliments on that machine than I ever have on anything else:lol:

And, I s'pose I should....it snoblows 'bout half of my block (mine & 2 neighbors) , and runs better than any around me...I've got a few stories:DB)

It earns it's keep, and it's a yr older than me! ----Can't say that bout one neighbor's 3stage CUB that cost almost 2k.

Best 100.00 I ever spent, no lie.

• Like 1

classiccat
7 minutes ago, 12Horse Paladin said:

Thanks for the info/ideas, classiccat.

I'm kinda oddly "into" the old sno throwers, m'self....you can see my main blower tucked in the corner of my garage in my last pic....a 1973 Airens.

I get more compliments on that machine than I ever have on anything else:lol:

And, I s'pose I should....it snoblows 'bout half of my block (mine & 2 neighbors) , and runs better than any around me...I've got a few stories:DB)

It earns it's keep, and it's a yr older than me! ----Can't say that bout one neighbor's 3stage CUB that cost almost 2k.

Best 100.00 I ever spent, no lie.

Oh yeah!  Love the 910 series ariens.  Does that still have the single belt and the lovejoy coupling?  

I have a ‘71 5hp 24” and it’s instoppable with chains.  I expected it to be grossly underpowered...boy was I surprised!  It’s my go-to machine.

here it is in action:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

12Horse Paladin

Hey!....are you the fellow that has the site devoted to Airens sno throws?

That's where I got a lot of good info when I found mine!:lol:

And yes....I am slow @ picking this stuff up...but mine still does have the single belt and the lovejoy coupling, I believe.

classiccat
3 minutes ago, 12Horse Paladin said:

Hey!....are you the fellow that has the site devoted to Airens sno throws?

That's where I got a lot of good info when I found mine!:lol:

And yes....I am slow @ picking this stuff up...but mine still does have the single belt and the lovejoy coupling, I believe.

That’s Scot Lawrence.  We are both members of snowblowerforum.com :lol:

edit: Scot is also into wheel horse tractors.  I believe he is an RS member...maybe he will swing by.

Edited by classiccat

gwest_ca

The 4-2652 is one I missed. This link will take you to 8 files on it.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q="4-2652"&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

The 8 at the end of the model number is not used but if you subtract 5 from that 6th digit you get the last digit of the model year. 8-5=3=1973

The reason I added a 0 to the serial number is they did get up to 7 digits in the serial number in 1973. In a spreadsheet the 0 needs to be there to keep them in order.

Garry

• Excellent 2

ericj

I have 3 of the old trailblazer snowblowers. One I believe  is a REO  and the other one is a Wheel Horse, both 7 hp tecky's. One is a parts machine I bought at the big show years ago to get the rare mower deck. I used my original one for several years till I got something newer and retired it. Holding that lever for a long period of time gets hard on the hands. I'm hoping to bring them to the big show this year since the feature is snow machines. That means I will probably have to make 3 trips instead of my usual 2 so I can include all of my snow equipment in the show.  :ROTF:

eric j 

• Like 1

peter lena

having modified the snow throwing ability of snow blowers before, I always used ( conveyor belt  material ) on the edges of augers to start of chute area. that gap is your cause of little discharge.. typically I make up a metal backing strip to reinforce the belting edge, I use hex head sheet metal screws, and the simple closing of the gap to chute area works without issue. I would also " detail the drive mechanism " to insure its smooth and speedy action. I would run the auger and spray lubricate it while its spinning at every frictional point. I have had machinery that barely turned , (  do to zero lubrication or maintenance ) come to life with chain and cable oil spray. my mtd blower is 22 years old and kicks butt. hope you recover your project , pete  

• Like 1

peter lena

classic cat , I like your approach to recovering the old thrower, you instantly had me drawn in, when you said you wd 40 the metal, that's what I do , that instantly transforms metal that has been neglected , what a concept ! the fact that your basic follow the problem path has given you a solid reliable machine , will only lead to improving it even more. good job on that, pete

• Thanks 1

wfrpalm

Make sure the shear pins aren't broke.

• Like 1

Pullstart

I missed a Wheel Horse walk behind blower at the local auction a while back that went for someth8ng like $30 too.  The next one that came through fetched a couple hundred!  I wish I had seen it before bidding was over...

12Horse Paladin

Gwest_ca, thanks, yet again, for the manual help. I likes paper; pouring over that stuff is just as fun a part of this as anything; the rest of you, too...many thanks all, for giving me some info to work with. I really would like to do a backyard resto; maybe even rattle can paint, this beast, n use it, next winter. We will see.

If anyone has pics, feel free to share...

gwest_ca

We do not have much on these models but they appear to be very similar. This operator manual may help. Click on the picture.

Found some more models I missed so working on that.

Garry

• Like 1