TC10284

73501 520H No Start, no turnover

TC10284

Have a 73501 520H I got about a month ago.

Turn key switch to run. Test lights all come on and then go off except for Oil Pressure light flashing (as my other 520's do). Turn key to Start and nothing. I can hear a slight and single "click" noise, but that's it.

The Oil Pressure light keeps flashing when I do this. Have checked oil and it is well in the Full range. Click sound does not appear to be coming from the starer. Sounds like it is coming from a relay or something else in the console. 

Have replaced ignition key switch with a new one of appropriate model number. 

Have taken a battery booster and connected positive output of booster to very left terminal on starter after removing the plastic cover on starter. Touch negative terminal to engine block mount. Starter turns but only spins and doesn't turn engine over. Suspecting a bad starter. I have a working one to swap with, but have not had the time to do so yet. Engine appears to have compression when turning by hand.

Other issues I'm aware of with this guy that may relate:

Motion lever has become disconnected from the linkage to the transmission. I have made CERTAIN it is in the neutral position, and that the Motion Lever safety light is not flashing. This will be fixed once I can get it to turn over/start. 

PTO safety switch connector plastic has become very brittle and is mostly gone on the top. Cannot see any shorts. Again, made certain the PTO is in disengaged position and that PTO safety light is not flashing. 

Some of the wiring has been chewed naked pretty bad by mice. My visual inspection doesn't see any shorted wires. It's mostly on the wires to the coil. 

Thanks as always!

Edited by TC10284

953 nut

You know you have wiring issues to deal with. May as well find your wiring diagram in here and do it right the first time rather than attempting to piecemeal it.

• Like 1

TC10284
12 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

You know you have wiring issues to deal with. May as well find your wiring diagram in here and do it right the first time rather than attempting to piecemeal it.

Yeah, I hear you there and I've actually been looking at that guide already. This one is a new one to me so far since I'm not seeing any safety lights flashing at me. And that's why I asked the experts. :)
In the meantime, i'll check some more wires a little more closely to see if I can find anything more obvious. 

953 nut
6 minutes ago, TC10284 said:

I'm not seeing any safety lights flashing at me.

Could be the wires to them were chewed up too or they are not getting a good ground.

TC10284
25 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Could be the wires to them were chewed up too or they are not getting a good ground.

What I meant by that actually is that they come on a switch on to Run, go off as they normally should, but do not flash at me like there is a detected failure. Except for the Oil Pressure light which continues to flash unlike the working 520's I have when I turn to Start. 

• Like 1

lynnmor

Connect a wire to the positive terminal on the battery.  Touch the other end to the small terminal on the starter where the blue wire is connected.  Did the starter run?  If not, is the battery fully charged?  This will bypass all the switches and relays to prove out the starter before exploring other faults.

WVHillbilly520H

The first used one I bought had the same problem, it was the neutral safety switch under the steering wheel...the actuator tang had corroded and broken off technically the switch was "working" just not being "made"  pics before and after...good luck Jeff.

IMAG2067.jpg

IMAG2141.jpg

gwest_ca

The oil light is the only one that flashes and it will flash until the engine develops oil pressure.

The rest of the lights are steady when on and indicate which circuit is at fault. If they are all on one would suspect a bad ground as that is common to all of them. Power to the safety switches may also be common to all of them so check fuses.

Does this tractor have a test switch for the lights? If so it just forces the lights on for a bulb check.

Garry

• Like 1

ericj

I have a 520-H with the relays located under battery that has one of the relay wires bad causing the same problem. I jerry-rig a momitary switch to start the tractor till repairs can be made. I have had other 520's and 416's with the relays under the batteries. good luck

eric j

• Like 1

TC10284

OK, so I had some time to look more into it today. Connecting a wire from battery positive to the small terninal on the starter and the starter turned over the motor fine. 

So I started looking at the wiring. I found that there were quite a few terminals in the main engine connectors that were corroded and broken from battery acid and the weather. Thing is, I fixed those and it still will not turn over. The wires were both the reds, a gray, and a white. I pulled on each of the other wires with some amount of force to make sure they were not broken as well. 

The clicking sound when I turn the key to start is from one of the three black relays under the front of the battery tray. 

I cannot find any other broken wires. 

Is it possible a relay is bad? 

Edited by TC10284

lynnmor

A relay can be bad and often the connector to the relay is corroded.  Now that we know you have a working battery, battery cables and starter, return to the demystification guide shown earlier.  It will break down each system so that you can test where the current is lost.

Edited by lynnmor
  • Thanks 1

ericj

those relay's are a PIA to get to, but I would almost be willing to bet that is where your problem is. Like I said earlier I have a 520 that the connector for the coil on the start relay corroded off. Been meaning to pull the motor so I can get in there to fix the relay but haven't touched the tractor in over a year. But the good news is since I've been laid off I've been getting caught up on some projects.

eric j

lynnmor

I find accessing the relays to be a bit easier by removing the belt guard and going in from the right side, still a pain in the tush. :bitch:

ericj
9 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I find accessing the relays to be a bit easier by removing the belt guard and going in from the right side, still a pain in the tush. :bitch:

I think if memory serve me right that's what I did on mine.

eric j

TC10284

Finally had a chance to work on this one again. Replaced all three relays and it would immediately turn over after that! 

Drained tank of very bad and old gas, blew out lines, replaced fuel shut off/grommet (no filter on new shut off), replaced fuel filter at carb. 

Primed fuel pump/lines and it started running! Idles fine and goes full throttle fine!

It smokes a bit when you throttle up, but it's been sitting for quite some time. I am going to replace the plugs soon too, and change the oil. Then adjust the valves. 

I need to fix the motion lever linkage, but can't access it due to frozen screws on the side and dash sheet metal. I'll make another post about that.

Edited by TC10284