Rayp

C160 Automatic ignition switch - Help please

Rayp

With a plethora of different numbers I am trying to identify which replacement ignition switch will fit my C160.  On some sites it is numbered 103990, on others 103991 and on yet another 111215.  The existing switch has 5 connectors set out as follows:-

accessories                        start

rectifier                               battery

ignition

any help would be much appreciated.

gwest_ca

The online parts lists can be confusing because some of them are shared between tractor models but fail to state what models use what.

103990 is for battery ignition with the ignition terminal identified with an I

103991 is for magneto ignition with the ignition terminal identified with an M

Click on the picture

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

peter lena

RAYP, recently did a similar switch swap and harness, as  gwest has shown , one switch is for , points ignition, one switch is for mag ignition, that simplifies it . I also added a new wire harness with specific 5 point plug in https://www.amazon.com/HD-Switch-Replacement-Starter-Ignition/dp/B07DGQYDKR/ref=sr_1_7?hvadid=318642588944&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9003291&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1o1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=12328943754702431369&hvtargid=kwd-29079129044&keywords=wheel+horse+ignition+switch&qid=1551186449&s=gateway&sr=8-7&tag=googhydr-20. for the cost involved about 22 $ , you can replace the problem and upgrade at the same time. good luck with it, pete 

• Like 2

Rayp

Thankyou Garry and Peter for your prompt and helpful replies.  The Website quoted by Peter is really interesting as I would also like to get a new wiring harness.  However I will have to wait until someone I know is visiting America, because the postage to the Uk is often three times the price of an item.

gwest_ca

You realize you can replace the terminals inside the plastic connector? Click on the picture.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Rayp

Thanks again Garry. The link was very instructive.  The reason I suspect my ignition switch is that when trying to start my engine the (although it did not start!!) the ignition switch jammed on, meaning I could not stop it turning the engine over. It did stop after some seconds and I suspect the spring inside the switch is defective, hence I am trying to source a replacement.  I think it would be a good idea to replace the terminals at the same time.  Richard's link would have been useful, but for the fact that like so many US suppliers they do not ship to the UK.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

General Motors used these terminals for years and Packard Electric was part of the corporation with AC-Delco also owned by GM. Someone over there has to have these terminals. What do the outdoor power repair shops use?

You could remove the terminals from the connector one at a time and clean them. Have given them a slight squeeze to tighten their gripping force on the male terminal and put them back in the connector. Just use the blade of a knife to bend the rear tang so it locks in the connector.

Would be nice to solder the wire to terminal connection but next to impossible to get them clean enough.

A Kohler dealer may be another source. Terminal #6 on these pages.

If they do not have they should know of a local source for you.

Garry

• Like 3

Rayp

Thanks again Gary for the useful information.

• Like 1

Rayp

Sorry! I neglected to thank Peter and Richard for their help.

• Thanks 1