oldlineman

what sparkplug do you use

oldlineman

Just wondering what plug we use in this engine and why. Bob ( Onan B43M-GA016/41830 )

Edited by oldlineman

WHNJ701

I use ngk's in all my engines

oldlineman

Could you give the # of the plugs we use too. Thanks Bob

WHX??

I use champions :hide: as I know a few fellas here are not fond of them  167-0272 is the Onan P/N which converts to a Champion RS17YX. From there you should be able to cross it to your favorite  brand.

Edited by WHX22
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib
13 minutes ago, WHX22 said:

I use champions :hide: as I know a few fellas here are not fond of them  167-0272 is the Onan P/N which converts to a Champion RS17YX. From there you should be able to cross it to your favorite  brand.

:text-yeahthat:I use champions as well

• Excellent 1

bottjernat1

autolite that is what i use and my late dad used.  try this page out its a cross reference for the j8c champion plug for some of the kohler motors.  https://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/convert/CHAMP_PN/J8C and if you choose to use a champion here is a reference for the size kohler and a champion plug https://www.lawnmowerpros.com/kohler/kohler-spark-plug-cross-reference.asp and here is another guide https://www.propartsdirect.net/kohler-spark-plug-chart.aspx

Edited by bottjernat1
  • Like 1

WHX??
1 minute ago, bottjernat1 said:

autolite that is what i use

That seems to be a preferred brand by many horse heads here based on past discussions on plugs. Selection is somewhat limited in my area tho.

@oldlineman there is another Champion plug that works as well but the number escapes me. It was an XX14XX number or something. It was the same plug as the RX17 but has a thicker electrode. See if I can track it down.

Some day when I got nothing better to do I am going to build a spread sheet on all the plugs we use in the different Kohlers/WH's. Maybe it's already been done?

• Like 1

lynnmor
29 minutes ago, WHX22 said:

He is asking about a B43M Onan that takes Champion RH18Y.  

bottjernat1
3 minutes ago, WHX22 said:

That seems to be a preferred brand by many horse heads here based on past discussions on plugs. Selection is somewhat limited in my area tho.

@oldlineman there is another Champion plug that works as well but the number escapes me. It was an XX14XX number or something. It was the same plug as the RX17 but has a thicker electrode. See if I can track it down.

Some day when I got nothing better to do I am going to build a spread sheet on all the plugs we use in the different Kohlers/WH's. Maybe it's already been done?

a good reference chart for everyone with many different brand would be an awesome thing! I agree

WHX??

Might be my bad then guys I had a PPG-16/18/20 stuck in my head..

Parts #: 167-0296 for a B43M - GA016

Edited by WHX22

pfrederi

I use ABC Plugs  (Anything but Champion):P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

oldlineman

Thank you all for great replies. I guess in the long run we all gravitate towards what our fathers, uncles, brothers and so on used when it comes to almost anything in our lives. I know that is true for me! Bob

Edited by oldlineman
  • Like 2

Reel Mower Freak

I just bought E3’s for my p220 as that’s all they had in stock that cross referenced to the Champions and I needed them to troubleshoot. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

formariz

After weird problems with Champions and extensively reading through Brian Millers site I switched to Autolite a long time ago. Seems like all the weird stuff that was happening even with new plugs just disappeared to the point that I rarely even think about plugs at all.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

bottjernat1
2 hours ago, formariz said:

After weird problems with Champions and extensively reading through Brian Millers site I switched to Autolite a long time ago. Seems like all the weird stuff that was happening even with new plugs just disappeared to the point that I rarely even think about plugs at all.

The weird things happened all the time to my late dad(craig bottjer) to our 8n ford. it use to eat champions for breakfast lunch and dinner. he switched to autolites and the issues stopped. i have mabe 1 or 2 engines with a champion in them and i have lots of new champion plugs that were my late dads when he had a business but he got them at auctions in a lot he would buy. He held on to them butt didnt use them. LOL! now i have them and i dont use them. LOL!

• Haha 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, formariz said:

switched to Autolite a long time ago

Happen to have some Autolite numbers for the common ones we use on our :wh: Cas?

It seems like every time I use Bottjer's  cross or any other one I get conflicting results and I am confused enough! :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

• Haha 1

oldlineman

Back in my early days my dad ( he would have been 94 years old, went to be with his savior last Feb. 18.) always used champion, Fram, Wolfs head motor oil, you know the old regular brands. Sadly I don't thing in this day and age we can rely on those great brands from our youth. Bob

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

formariz
48 minutes ago, WHX22 said:

Happen to have some Autolite numbers for the common ones we use on our :wh: Cas?

If you go on eBay you will always find guys with NOS Autolites non resistor/ copper core in substantial quantities. That is how I get them. This way they are really inexpensive and every other year I change them anyway as a maintenance item.I also favor stuff built a long time ago to a newly manufactured one. I now have a twin cylinder Onan but have not yet researched what plug to use from Autolite.

Here is what I use for engines I have

K91, K90,H50,H55,H60----------------------AUTO-LITE 455

K141,K161,K181, H80 ON UP-------------AUTO-LITE 295

K241,301,321,341----------------------------AUTO -LITE 216

All magneto engines .25 gap

All battery ignition   .35 gap

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1