LengerichKA88

Is it possible to push/pull a Hydro?

LengerichKA88

Is there a way to put a hydro, in my case a Charger 10, in neutral so that it can be pushed around the shop? 

I’m able to do this with our short frame, which is nice if I only need it a foot or two out of the way, but if I need to move the Charger I have to get on it. Was wondering if theres a tip or trick that I didn’t know about. If not no biggie, but you guys would be the ones to know. TIA. 

Edited by KyleLengerich

Ed Kennell

The Sundstrand hydros have a tow valve that needs to be opened to allow the tractors to be moved.   They should only be pushed slowly by hand.   The hydro must be engaged to release the parking brake on some models.

The early hydros  (875)  had the valve at the upper left rear as a hex nut.  Later it was a petcock on top left , and later, it was a slotted screw at the left front of the hydro.

The Eatons have no tow valve.   The 700 can not be moved but the 1100 can be moved slowly by hand.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

daveoman1966

Give this valve 1/4 turn...

217 (35).JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

LengerichKA88

I had a feeling that I would need to open/turn that, but didn’t want to until I knew for sure. Thank you gentlemen! 

• Like 3

cazngz
On 2/9/2019 at 1:51 PM, LengerichKA88 said:

I had a feeling that I would need to open/turn that, but didn’t want to until I knew for sure. Thank you gentlemen! 

Just a note..   mine was a petcock type and was extremely hard to move.  I kept spraying  PB Blaster on it until I could tap it with a hammer slightlly to move it a tad, then back and forth slowly.

WVHillbilly520H
On 2/9/2019 at 1:24 PM, Ed Kennell said:

The Eatons have no tow valve.   The 700 can not be moved but the 1100 can be moved slowly by hand.

With the exception of the xi series Eaton 1100 has HI/LO ranges plus nuetral, that would have awesome on a classic 520H.

• Like 2

oldredrider

To add to this, turn tow valve 180° to open or close on the Charger. It does not "unscrew" like the later models.

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
4 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

To add to this, turn tow valve 180° to open or close on the Charger. It does not "unscrew" like the later models.

Good point Paul.   Actually you turn it 90 degrees to open or close it.

cazngz
46 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Good point Paul.   Actually you turn it 90 degrees to open or close it.

Well, I was with you guys until I saw the 90 degree part.  Soo.. does the valve actually turn 180 degrees ( I hope so cause mine does )  or is it you only need to turn it 90 degrees to push it and then another 90 for the tractor to run normally ?  My valve moves from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock.  I've only pushed it so far.

Ed Kennell

It is a ball valve that is open for towing when the handle is front to back. You can turn it 90 degrees CW or CCW to close it for driving.

cazngz
11 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

It is a ball valve that is open for towing when the handle is front to back. You can turn it 90 degrees CW or CCW to close it for driving.

Sooo.....  why can I turn mine 180 degrees in one direction ?   Like I said, from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock.  I've never had a ball valve turn 180 degrees before.  Is there something wrong with it ?  It definitely locks at the 12 and 6 positions.

Ed Kennell

No, there is nothing wrong with your valve.  

Pullstart
23 minutes ago, cazngz said:

Sooo.....  why can I turn mine 180 degrees in one direction ?   Like I said, from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock.  I've never had a ball valve turn 180 degrees before.  Is there something wrong with it ?  It definitely locks at the 12 and 6 positions.

Most ball valves in plumbing have a stop built in to the handle.  Bend that stop out of the way, it’ll spin like a clock.

daveoman1966

That TOW VALVE removed looks like this.  Use a crescent wrench to remove and clean it up.   

220 026.JPG

220 030.JPG

223 043.JPG

223 044a.jpg

• Like 1

cazngz
34 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Most ball valves in plumbing have a stop built in to the handle.  Bend that stop out of the way, it’ll spin like a clock.

cazngz
4 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

That TOW VALVE removed looks like this.  Use a crescent wrench to remove and clean it up.   

220 026.JPG

220 030.JPG

223 043.JPG

223 044a.jpg

That's some great photos and explanation.  Becomes much easier to understand w/ photos.  Thumbs up  :) 

• Like 1